or Connect

Posts by Man-of-Mystery

Not to mention the Blackpool Mecca!
Indeed. Somewhere on this thread we have photos of a bunch of guys (not sure where from) who called themselves 'soulskins'.
"A large proportion of northern soul's original audience came from the mod movement. Some mods started to embrace the freakbeat and psychedelic rock of the late 1960s, but other mods - especially those in northern England - stuck to the original mod soundtrack of soul and blue beat. Some mods transformed into what would eventually be the skinheads, and others formed the basis of the northern soul scene. Early northern soul fashion included bowling shirts, button-down Ben...
We're trying to, dammit!
Be fair - we've kept this going for more than 1300 pages!
I remember 50... dimly.
As I got more into the clothes I got less into the esoteric music - just a sociological thing, mixing with the kids I mixed with - so I became out of touch with what West Indians were buying/spinning, just as much as I had lost touch with the soul scene up north. A pity on both score, but you can't put the clock back.
I remember that one without having to play it. "I push it in, she pull it out..."
No, I'm getting old, mate...'Throw me Corn' might have actually been Lee Perry...
Listing a few from memory: Eric 'Monty' Morris - Say what you're saying. Clancy Eccles - Fatty Fatty Tommy McCook - Monkey Fiddle ???? - Burial of Longshot ???? - Throw me corn insufficient RAM....