or Connect

Posts by Man-of-Mystery

Yeah, that's Willesden, the well-know suburb of Cork!
Irish? Hmmm... Any guesses, folks?
Like I said, tartan as we know it today. Reputable historians would tell you that before that time you would be hard pressed to tell the clan of a highlander from the colour of his clothes. You might be able to take a stab about his general location from the dyes and cloth of a homespun garment, but that'd be about it.
Col, if you can find precisely where in Scotland they actually came (maybe drilling back into Dublin records, Church or civic or census, could give a hint) you could find a mention of whereabouts in Scotland they originally came from. Then tracing the history of clearances in that area might be easier.Clann Fhionnlagh is a sept of the Farquharsons, as you probably know - fairly widespread so maybe difficult to trace.If one of your family turns out to have been a doctor in...
Here's my family tartan. My daughter wore a skirt of this plaid to school, and I have a scarf in it. There's also a 'Camel Thompson', here it is. Yes, the Scottish branch of my family were the first Chavs north of the wall!
See my previous comment
True, but the type of patterned cloth we know today as 'tartan' was an early 19c invention from Lancashire. Hence the Scuttlers' scarves.Interestingly, Roman historians noted that Celts wore 'striped' clothes, by which I guess they could only mean counter-woven cloth (rather than QPR or Glasgow Celtic hoops). Remains of a wandering band of possible Celts were found in the Taklamakan desert, Xinjiang, China, by archeologists, including fragments of counter-woven...
Why not, Roy? Tartan was an English invention!
I seem to remember it was mostly Arsenal fans wore the scarves - 'Royal Stewart' being mainly red.
You have to admit, that's a bloody good name! I was sure we would find familiar echoes there!