or Connect

Posts by Man-of-Mystery

More reminiscences. I wasn't the only bloke around at college that had short hair, Levis, Ben Shermans etc. There were a few more. There was my mate Mark Cullinan of course (we had a pic of him a few pages ago) - I can remember no one took much notice of us until the 'skinhead' and 'Smithies' things got into the papers, then he had to take ribbing just as I did. There were other blokes whose names I can't remember. Two guys ran the Shotokan Karate club that were as hard...
I may have asked this before, but did anyone who remembers the 60s remember the term 'Mid'? As a term it was used to describe someone whose clothes reflected some mod influences and some rocker influences or Ted retentions. Does anyone else remember any greasers in 68/69 who wore Levis because they were tough jeans, and DMs because they were tough boots?
The look - indeed, far away from mod. I think the attitude to music and clubbing is what owes the most to mod in that culture.
Thanks. I'll bear that in mind.
Taking another look at Northern Soul We talk quite a bit about Northern Soul in this thread. It isn't really part of the 'mod-to-suedehead' track, but it is interesting, the way that Australian Sharpies and French Minets are, maybe even more so, because we can see the direct path from late mod culture to Northern Soul, and we can see it as a separate fork in the same road. I'm pretty sure, for example, that if I hadn't moved from the North to London in 1968, I would have...
The Book I had a long chat with Suzie ('Little Queenie) and Bob (Ancillotti) over a plate of chips after the Windrush event in Glasgow, this Saturday just gone. As you'll be aware, progress has been glacial. The main problem is that there is now so much material in this thread, the number of pages is growing faster than it can be transcribed. Each time we come to a page, we have to sort out the chit-chat from the information, then we have to decide whether to transcribe...
I don't know if we have had this pic before (the old story!). I stumbled across it the other day. It's supposedly part of the audience at Ready Steady Go in 1964. The mod at the front is clearly wearing something that looks like a Harrington.
The recent BBC documentary, Northern Soul: Something for the weekend, was also pretty interesting. Not sure I like the way it's becoming a media 'thing' though.
Don't remind me of les Fran├žais de Juillet - the only time I tried deliberately tried to pick a fight was with a young French bloke at the Savoy Rooms! Actually I used to enjoy the French kids being there, up to a point, because it meant I could get a chance to use a couple of sentences in French, in passing. In fact I sometimes used to prevent fights by clearing up misunderstandings. But on the other hand they did tend to get close to our birds! Tangerine/amber was...
As in 'Jane Firkin and Surge Forward', as we used to call them.