Posts by Man-of-Mystery

Just a note to Sean Carlson, as I can't persuade PMs to take pictures or attachments at present. Sean asked, re the pic above, whether I turned up cords. The answer is no, as this pic from the same holiday shows. From the feet up, I'm wearing Squire Shop brogues (getting dusty), black Levi cords (held up by my hip-bones!), and a shirt which was, I am sure, a new departure for Ben Sherman in the time when we were all beginning to go arty. It's a kind of peacock-blue...
I'm cool.
Agreed, but there was a time when it was 'ordinary blokes' - lots of them - who did just that. Mainly in the sixties, but they got the idea of suits, ties etc. from what was already established. This isn't a thread dedicated to comparing our kitenges and sarongs, for examining trends that went way off at a tangent, for example. See what I'm saying?
Just a few remarks about the shirt from the Squire Shop I neglected to mention. This one, I mean, under the Harrington: Only a handful of us bought them round our way. Being an American 'regular' fit - full in the body and wide in the sleeve - it bucked the trend for 'trimfit' type shirts. It looked a bit baggy on. I've been wondering what happened to it. I now seem to remember that in the late 1970s, the Skelmersdale Players in Lancashire put on an adaptation of The...
Yes, I'm an 'Emerson' these days - the first and only member of my family to go bald!
Okay, I've been in the attic today looking for something unconnected, and I turned up the following two photos. The first is myself on holiday in 1967 - I would be 16 going on 17 (please, NOBODY start singing the worst song in The Sound of Music!). The pic is no biggie, because I'm just wearing a white T... This was the first year we ever used colour film. Anyhow, the second is really interesting, because I had forgotten all about it! It's myself in 1970, again on...
I managed quite well, back in the day.
Yep - my mum called mine a monkey jacket, but she was being insulting (she hated the way I dressed). I have been looking for one of these for ages, preferably in red. I think I mentioned before that the ones we had 'up north' in 1967 were, in descending order of preference, 1] dark blue with plain navy collar and cuffs, 2] ice blue with navy collar/cuffs, 3] red with navy collar/cuffs, although only a small handful of the latter were seen. All were unlined nylon.
That was the point!
Yeah, except he wasn't too good at keeping out of sight!Funny thing - I've probably said this before - he was from London and came to live in Blackpool, I was from Blackpool and came to live in London; I used to joke that we were on a kind of 'cultural exchange'!