or Connect

Posts by Man-of-Mystery

I bought my first pair of cherry-red boots in 1968 - they weren't DMs, back then we wore all kinds of boots, though DMs were perhaps more popular than any other - shortly after moving down to London. I've told this tale before, but shortly after that I wore them on a trip back up north, along with a pair of jungle greens (see the Smithies), and the Northerners were unimpressed. In 1969 I had a pair of brown boots, again not DMs. You can see them in the picture of me where...
We hear you.
You just jogged my memory. About a year ago I was in Glasgow, and I found myself walking along behind a bloke with an open-blade haircut, a black Harrington, skinny jeans rolled up, red braces hanging down, and big red boots. Orientation irrelevant of course, but what really struck me was when he turned round and I saw he had a Moeen Ali beard! Really, I guess, there's nothing to stop anyone, gay or straight, adopting items of clothing which are/were items of the skinhead...
Believe it or not, I'm thinking of popping down for this...
I remember black boots being worn in 68/69. 'The Smithies' are wearing them in this pic:[NB this pic is (c) Guardian Media Group, and is licensed to me for one specific purpose. It's reproduced here under 'fair use' provisions. I don't need to ask regulars this, but if anyone is surfing through, please do not 'hot link' or copy it.]
Oh I don't know. I rather fancy meself in a Moeen Ali...
Bloody worn-down ones!
I can remember streets in Liverpool (my mum's birthplace - I moved there briefly in 1975) where there was nothing left but the pubs on the corner. They couldn't be knocked down because they were 'tied houses' and belonged to the brewery. The rest of the landscape had been flattened.
Mrs Mystery was ironing it yesterday and found three holes in the sleeves, so it's going back to them!I know it was a charity shop shirt, but we both work in a charity shop ourselves, and we know that 'best practice' in all charity shops is not to sell damaged clothes, but to put them in the bag for the rag man.It was only a gash 'Blue Harbour' one from Markie's, but it was one of their better efforts, genuinely a three-finger job. Not a brilliant photo, but I can tell you...