or Connect

Posts by SamSpade

Quote: Originally Posted by M. Charles How exactly does the government keep track of how much $$ a person makes at a garage sale? It may be a pro forma requirement but is so unenforceable as to be practically non-existant and laughable. This is true for private sellers, but I would imagine this is more targeted to businesses. Let's face it, for a small business, paypal is almost as good as a cash only transaction.
I'm already kind of dissapointed by the dependence on PayPal here. I would think that the purist crowd would stick to cash only, traveler's cheques, money orders, and wire transfers .
No camera right now unfortunately. My experience echoes that of other posters. In general light blue works with the navy or medium gray suit for the most part. In my case, I think that sky blue knit tie was the best choice, the woven silks, not so much. The yellow was/is the worst of the bunch (I agree that rich gold is a different story). Pink could work, but mine not so great, but I believe it is because it is a washed out variety of pink as ktpr suggests. I can't...
Ok, since I live in a very warm climate, I though that a bunch of light colored ties (e.g,. pink, yellow, sky blue etc.) would be pretty sensible considering that most of the year the sun is shiiiiiining. After some experimentation, however, I must admit that I just don't get it. Light colored tie just seems completely off to me in any context, except maybe than drinking mojitos on the beach, in which case I wouldn't be wearing any tie to begin with. So I'm...
Quote: Originally Posted by Xenon Nothing is timeless to everyone, but beauty may by timeless to you or someone particular. I get what you are saying but think you should have chosen something more visible like cars instead of stamps. Basically you love something or you don't. If you don't than don't bother trying because it won't make you happy and who cares what others think. And you know you love something when everyone else ridicules it but you...
Quote: Originally Posted by Montauk This is true of most worthwhile pursuits. Well, of course, everything has diminishing marginal returns, but not all things are created equal. If I had invested the same effort I have invested n style into learning calculus or some other skill, I could argue that the final result would be inherently a tad more worthwhile.
I generally echo the sentiment of the OP. I love nice tailored stuff as much as the next SFer, but after a few years of paying too much attention to this stuff, I do realize that it is easy to devote too much energy, attention, and $$$ to something that doesn't matter that much. I've dramatically scaled down my expenditures, and wear imperfect stuff a lot more often. Once you get the worst offenses out of the way, it just seems pointless to invest so much energy, thought...
I have two heavy jackets (flannel and tweed), looks like from decent tailors, but none of them are canvassed. The thing is, I also don't think they are fused - the cloths are so heavy that they have the right shape on their own. Which makes me wonder in general - are jackets made of such heavy cloths ever canvassed, or is there simply no need?
Is the weave on the square bottom and point tip ties the same? It looks like there are at least two different weaves on the site - one is very loose, the other tighter - it seems quite obvious if you look at the two versions of the brown knit. So in ties of the same color, is the tip the only difference or are there different designs, including the type of knit??
pm sent ...