or Connect

Posts by SamSpade

New pair of Loake Kemptons in brown suede. Come with the original bags. I have worn them once for about 20 minutes - enough to determine that they are slightly smaller than I like. Will ship anywhere in the US.
Actually, Orthodox, a much more forgiving form of scam .But anyhow - I'm sure you're right within reason, yet there are also plenty of profiles with tens of thousands of posts behind them, and closet pics with tens (and even hundreds) of thousands of $ in plain view. It's just sad. I understand it, sociologically speaking, but it nevertheless suggests mostly bad things about the current state of civilization.As for "curing ills" - nothing can be more oxymoronic than...
Yes and no. Clearly, clothing is a uiversal human need, and better clothing can satisfy other wants (e.g. aesthetic, emotional, social) in addition to its immediate practical purpose. All of this is irrational, but is probably relatively harmless if kept within reason (e.g. does not consume material resources and time better spent on other activities/causes).While some lip service to frugality is occasionally paid on SF, I am personally growing increasingly jaded. Our...
Haven't been around long enough to discern the consumption patterns of the 1%, but with multiple pairs of $1k+ shoes, they've got to be astonishing.Voxsartoria's wardrobe is easily half a million *at least*. There is no system of moral philosophy (or simple common sense) under which this isn't utterly ridiculous.
I did my best to give AE the benefit of the doubt: influenced by the hype on the menswear forums I've purchased 7 pairs of different models (but all within the classic styles) over the last 4 years. Well, the data is in, and the conclusion is out: I'm giving up: the AE shoes suck, and are not worth it, even on sale.
Let me basically sum up the existential situation of the typical SF-er: A status anxious, middle class bourgeois homeboy, of average to slightly above average $$ means, let's say upper quintile of the income distribution (i.e. just enough to feel close enough that some simple signifiers of upper class lifestyle are within reach.) Recommended reading: C. Wright Mills - "White collar", V. Packard - "The Status Seekers".
LOL: "Fashion is not about looking good. It's about feeling good... and looking okay"Pretty good illustration though. However, I've realized that the reason many guys who dress like this look like shit is not necessarily the clothes per se. It is a more of a spurious relationship: if you've given up on life, chances are you look like shit already, no matter what you wear. It just happens that giving up correlates with poor dress. However, imagine a driven and inspired guy...
Another thing I wanted to mention - It almost feels like a crime to dress well in this economic mess...
Good points, all of you. I wouldn't say I'm dressing to impress others, but I won't deny that clothing fulfills to some extent other emotional needs (hard to say for sure, but stuff like inner confidence, communicating status, etc.). And that's precisely what bugs me: from a purely rational standpoint (need for clothing), it should make no sense to think at all about clothes as long as they protect/cover you adequately, and are clean. But of course adhering even to the...
We often complain here (self-congratulory, let's be honest) about how badly the average business / casual dresser looks these days. True enough, but is this such a bad thing? Sure, it doesn't look great, but does it not have at least some value as evidence that the relentless marketing does not quite work if legions of dudes simply throw on whatever is within reach and ove on with their day? Are dudes who simply choose to ignore all this hooplah deserving of ridicule or...