or Connect

Posts by SamSpade

Actually, quite a direct relevance, given that the point I was making/extending was that a lot of the 'rules' to a large extent arbitrary and frivolous:1) In discussing the necessities of life, he acknowledges that some of them are not a necessity in strictly physical sense, but the product of social class conventions that establish the "least common denominator" of dress expected by even the lowest classes --> meaning literally that, e.g. a Scottsman, would not be able...
While I similarly appreciate the first part of the comment, wrt to the second, I've got to ask: Oh, yeah? And what would that be? (Please explain without descending into jingoist cliches, you already slipped one...)Also: discussing clothing and clothing convenitions without touching their class - i.e. by definition political - connotations is like discussing hamburgers without discussing the need to raise and kill a cow.
You are forgiven, for you do not know what you are doing/saying.
Word, homeslice.
You would be correct. This is what free market hero Adam Smith had to say - though without really questioning - about the "necessities of life", and how some of them are purely the result of social custom, rather than "real necessity""By necessaries I understand not only the commodities which are indispensablynecessary for the support of life, but whatever the custom of the country renders it indecent forcreditable people, even of the lowest order, to be without. A linen...
True, that's why it would be useful to see more personal narratives/rationales, rather than just the lists... there is always going to ba an idyosincratic element, but imost people have reasons for the things they do, so it would be interesting to see them. People can hate something you do for reasons that are entirely different... One of the most juvenile aspects of the "rules" genre is precisely its aspiration for absolutes infallibility, which is laughable. Indeed, if...
I appreciate the philosophical references, but this may be taking it too far - for most of human history, the obsession about how to dress simply did not exist as a concern except for ceremonial purposes (under which I also class styles and rules developed by the ultra-rich in each respective epoch). Other than that clothing was simply an integral part of everyday culture/art, and I doubt it was ever scrutinized the way it is today. Things changed in modernity, since a...
Just measured myself - 23" on the nose . Except now Epaulet is out of basically everything in mid-grey
Bought this year, worn a few times, not for me. I can't take a good closeup pictures, but these are the models I am talking about: http://www.kentwang.com/cuff-links/guilloche-enamel-blue.html http://www.kentwang.com/cuff-links/silver-oval-carnelian.html $50 for both shipped CONUS
So, through trial and error, I also stumbled on some non-rule rules. Some of them overlap with a lot what has been said, but here are mine, along with rationales: 1) Grenadine ties only (after trying every conventional tie out there, I soon realized that they are incongruent with most situations and outfits - even ostensibly formal ones - these days. Since knit ties on the other hand are way too floppy and wimpy, I discovered that the grenadines provide by far the best...