or Connect

Posts by SamSpade

Yeah, it is legit, but it doesn't make it right
Well, big brother is watching your footwear purchases. This is the spooky email I get today from FedEx Hello,I am working on clearing this international shipment through US Customs. I will need to get some additional information in order to process this shipment. Please see the attached documents on this shipment for your reference. Before this shipment can be cleared by US Customs, we will need to have what is known as a Customs and Border Protection 5106 Importer ID...
Actually, this is a borderline case - both the jacket and the pants are barely beyond the point at which they'd be too tight/short. Scratch that - the goddamned suit is just too tight/short.A few years back, being still young and impressionable, I got interested in suits exactly when GQ started pushing the "slim look". So I was on this wavelength for a long while.It took me about 4-5 years to figure out that it is simply a brutal marketing gimmick: slim suits neither look...
I am 5'8" too, and 57" seems to work fine, and with many of today's low raise pants (which I hate), it can even be too short.
from ihatethenyt.com: "Narcissism of small differences is all about erecting psychic defenses against people you perceive as threateningly similar to you. It’s defined by “sensitiveness to… these details of differentiation” that separate groups. As this book explains, “We compare ourselves carefully with those who are like us–yet in some way different. According to Freud, small differences are an implied or potential criticism of ourselves. Therefore we note carefully...
Well, it is hard to say - I also have some completely unpadded jackets, but even they have some minimal structure due to fabric and overall construction that kind of keeps it together.I suppose that I could agree with the OP point about completely unstructured jackets that basically look like cardigans/sweaters - that would look weird - but I personally have not encountered such a thing.
I don't know if it is simply a matter of "casualization" - at least in my experience less padded simply looks better tailored; I am pretty well built - pretty much like Michelangelo's David (lol, sad to talk about it, but true), so the type of garment doesn't matter that much in my case - there is nothing to emphasize or deemphasize. I've tried both structured and unstructured jackets, and the structured jackets always look like a plastic mannequin, while the lightly...
Politics (unlike the workplace in general) is one area where I concede the declining clothing standards actually indicates real trouble. While in the workplace people should be left alone to wear what's comfortable, politics is a public business, that needs to meet the standards of rational democratic discourse, with the attendant rationality, sober attention to detail, evidence, and viewpoints, decorum, consideration, manners, etc. Some form of appropriate, calibrated...
I needed to hear that
True, but that's why it is tongue in cheek. Peace.