or Connect

Posts by SamSpade

On the Gabardine sport coats - like this one here - http://www.ehaberdasher.com/servlet/the-16075/Gabardine-Sport-Coat-cln--39R-fdsh-40R/Detail How much can you realistically shorten the sleves from the bottom? I.e. given that the buttons are functional, how much sleeve can you chop off without is ending up looking goofy? Thanks.
This is the fundamental issue. I personally find it infuriating that such intrusions in personal space (seriously, we're being told what to wear everywhere?? and a deviation instantly translates into judgement of character??) are not only accepted as normal, but also celebrated. I would not be surprised if he doesn't care about the money at all, it's just his little, sad, passive-agressive way to rebel. Better than just taking it up the ass, i suppose.Exhibit # 2,345,600...
Bullshit. The guy is absolutely right - there is no good reason to force anyone to incur a completely suprfluous expense as black tie attire (the post doesn't make it clear if it is a "black tie required event"). I would imagine that dude has a regular suit which would be appropriate for virtually any occasion. If a suit isn't enough for the boss, then they should cover his cost.
Hm, let's cut through the clutter shall we? At this point, the primary audience this forum caters to are the merchants and advertisers selling their warez on and off the interwebz. There. As for the actual posters, most would pretend to have an intrinsic fascination with clothes, but that's likely a rationalization. Many find it after they've been thoroughly satiated with the mainstream fashion press, and when that level of differentiation and status no longer suffices,...
Part of the debate on the navy SC can be simplified if we agree on whether the suit is an essential. If you remove the suit from the list of essentials, then the navy SC wins, because it can be brought up almost to a suit level - e.g. if combined with the black cap toes, the grey pants, white shirt, and the wedding tie (or a solid). In fact, most people IRL don't even get the suit-coat distinction and upon seeing the above would simply say - "nice suit". Of course, the...
I'm surprised a pair of gunboats/longwings in black or burgundy wasn't mentioned as a bare necessity in footwear. Goes with jeans, khakis, and suits. It's called the OneShoe for a reason , esp. given that you can actually get away with one (sic) pair.. Also, the debate over whether a navy blazer is an essential can be easily resolved by simply replacing it with a navy suit. Then, the coat can be worn separately as a navy blaz., assuming ok fit. Close enough.
So, I have to ask about the sole splitting issue again --> i just got a new pair of the standard captoes. Everything is okay, but there is a small gap in front on one of them where the sole is stitched to the shoe. Well, it's not really a "gap", but if I push it up with my finger, you can see it go up for a fraction of a millimeter, and overall the line where the sole connects to the shoe is pretty obvious, since this tolerance, while small, has cracked the edge paint a...
This was an interesting article, I enjoyed the details. I would say though, that the question "how can an artisan scale up" is not only poorly framed, it is an oximoron --> the only way for an artisan to scale up is... to stop being an artisan and begin to mass produce/standardise sam or all aspects of the product. Anything other than that simply means basically "cloning" the guy and having a bigger crowd doing the same thing. However, the output will not change...
Can we make a similar thread for men? Not that I know how to frame it, but --> why is it that women dressing in the unconventional ways shown above usually look awesome, while men going the same route would - chances are - look like complete idiots ? Female in weird garb still projects sexuality (at least from male point of view), while a male in weird garb almost certainly does not project power. If so, is this not a subtle perpetuation of the sexist undertones,...
I wonder if anybody has altered a benjamin suit --> I like the cut a lot, except for the waist --> too scooped (still fits me, but looks a bit feminine to my eye). I wonder if it is safe to let out the waist 1 inch, or is it going to somehow affect the whole silhouette in an unpredictable way?