or Connect

Posts by poorsod

I used to live around 45th and Lincoln. I still try to eat at PPQ on 19-20th and Irving if I am in the area.
Have you made a 3-piece with Formosa yet? Their vest for me was a 5 button. I think the next vest for me will have to be a 6 button with similar button position as Steed.
White tie update will be when I'm in Vienna next month. The Vienna balls are the real thing.
My NYE party hosts asked guests to dress their fanciest. Black tie ain't enough. I'm breaking out the tophat and coat tails.
I like the Vermont marble too. Here is a picture of the honed Vermont Danby (right/center) with a comparison of a polished Calacatta Gold (left)
I was shopping for marble recently and came across these calacatta like marble from Colorado. This type of marble was used for the Lincoln memorial and is about 1/2 price compared to imported Calacatta. Not sure what pricing is like in SF, but marble from Colorado might be competitively priced compared to Carrera.
I have the Budd silk tux shirt and it wears hot. I only wear it during the cold months. It is quite impractical when there is heat and humidity. I have a voile tux shirt for warm and humid weather. The climate in London may be temperate enough for you to get away with only the silk tux shirt, but not in NYC.
I think there is always a risk of buying old wine. I recently opened a bottle of 1990 champagne that had lost all its effervescence and I was worried that it had gone bad. Fortunately, it was still pretty tasty, though probably post peak.
I have a summer jacket from the old Carlo Barbera for H Lesser (CBHL). It is S120 but feels lux like cashmere. I am surprised how well it resists creases give how soft it feels. I also have a 3 piece suit from a vintage length of Barbera for Lesser around 9/10 oz. Also has a nice silky luxurious feel to the cloth but the pants seem to crease a bit. It is possible that CBHL is more optimal for jackets than for pants.I suspect Barbera would make cloths to different specs...
I just watched the Sour Grapes documentary about Rudy and his wine scam. It struck me that the FBI guy investigating the case mostly investigated Art theft and fraud. He had to read French Wine for Dummies. I recall a lecture on art theft where the speaker said that there is only 1 detective in NYC who investigates art theft (I don't recall if it he was talking about NYC police or FBI). The implication was that only 1 person was assigned that job because few people are...