or Connect

Posts by VikingsFan82

Two visual indicators that come to mind: -Pick stitching around the lapels (most cheap brands don't do this) -Many cheap suits are made of polyester fabric, which gives them a tacky-looking sheen -Many times, the inner label on the lining will say something like "Super 100's wool." Super 100 and above is very good Non-Visual Indicators: -You can tell by pinch the front and back of the jacket to tell if there's free-floating canvas between the layers....
Overall, looks pretty good. The shoulders might be a bit off, but that could be the camera angle. A back view shot would show more clearly if there's any excess around the shoulders. Length extends to the knuckles, which is good. Sleeve length is good. It shows the amount of shirt cuff. I think the torso might be a tad too tight. You could have your tailor let some of the material out at the seams. There's usually 0.5 inches of allowance. As said before,...
I've been eyeing a John Varvatos topcoat at Filene's for $400. Basically, you can do a lot better than Jos. A Bank for $400.
Get a humidifier if you live in a temperate climate. The air gets dry during the winter.
Just got an order of longsleeve polos and knits in size S. They're almost true 38R's, except for the shoulders which are maybe a quarter of an inch too wide. Tapered torso, which is good, and slimmer sleeves. Very nice quality materials, and half-way decent construction. I got these as a deal in one of the recent sales. Definately good basics at that price.
Quote: Originally Posted by dave your blanket statement was that it is overdesigned. that is false. the belt holds the jacket tight to your body for both warmth and so it doesn't get hung up on stray limbs when riding. Even if you're not riding, you will still want the jacket close to you to keep you warm. The pockets hold a myriad of things like maps, water, small tools etc. when riding but could easily hold car keys wallets and cell phones in everyday...
Quote: Originally Posted by dave Purpose designed, not over-designed. they're made to keep you dry and they do. that's what all the gadgets are for. Like them or not, they work. What purpose does the belt, neck buckle, and 4 huge pockets serve the average person? They look terrible and serve a minimal purpose I'm sure they keep you dry, but their water resistant quality has nothing to do with my statement
I agree that Belstaff's are ugly. I don't care if Steve McQueen loved his. The leather one look very S&Mish/Gothic. Or straight out of "The Matrix" (not in a good way) The front pockets and waist belt are atrocious. And the collar strap. Way over-designed.
Quote: Originally Posted by Timeless Fashion With any online MTM suits, there are going to be both good and bad fitting suits. Even when you are measured by an experienced tailor, you can have a bad result unless you have several fittings. There is often a learning curve for a MTM suit for many people. For a first suit, it's probably a good idea for OP to find a RTW suit that fits reasonably well and get it tailored. After learning more about how a...
Quote: Originally Posted by Liquidus vikingsFan82, what do you say to Furo's 38S recommendation? Jcrew currently has a 30% off sale where I can order their Ludlow suits and I need to choose 36R or 38S. (They don't have a 36S). I'm guessing it will be slimmer than the Fitz. I haven't tried on any of J. Crew's stuff. They never have 38R's in the store around me. I do like the design of their Ludlow suits. Low button-stance and thinner...