or Connect

Posts by imightbechad

Quote: Originally Posted by TheIdler I like "Wait Wait Don't Tell Me" and "Car Talk", but my favorite is "PseudoIntellectual BourgeoisBohemian AntiCapitalist Claptrap" or whatever the news program is called. No, seriously, "This American Life" is pretty good. I believe Diane Rehm has some kind of vocal disease, for real. I love Diane. She's one of the most thoughtful, courteous interviewers out there. I think her vocal condition has...
Quote: Originally Posted by Piobaire So truthfully, I have no fucking idea, and neither do you. +1,000,000. This could be the default response to 50% of the threads in this joint.
Quote: Originally Posted by Connemara You're an asshole.
It's a love/hate relationship for me. Car Talk is the best thing on the radio. But I hope Garrison Keillor dies a slow and painful death full of cliches.
Quote: Originally Posted by zbromer It's naive to think that innocent people have not been executed, though. The number of death row inmates exonerated is too high. +1
Quote: Originally Posted by JD_May Of course it's within my "power". I could walk outside with a golf club right now and kill the first person I saw. "Oh that's not what I meant", he'll say. Well, say what you mean. It's simply a matter of pragmatism. I honestly am not impressed with the sheer volume of expense that goes into looking after the worst kinds of criminals. If we can kill these people off cheaply and not waste any more of our time and money...
Quote: Originally Posted by JD_May The mind boggles at why we can't off someone for less than $2.3 million dollars, you mean. No, it boggles that we feel it is within our power to "off" someone at all, and that that equates with some sort of raw justice.
Quote: Originally Posted by iammatt Anyway, I don't support the death penalty, but if we are going to have it, we ought to stop making the process so damn long. Thankfully this isn't the case, considering the amount of death row inmates who've been exonerated over the last 30 years, thanks in part to advances in DNA testing.
Quote: Originally Posted by rach2jlc Is the death penalty (at least as we have it in the USA) really more cost effective than incarceration? I'm genuinely curious... as I've not done any research into the ins-n-outs of it. Quote: Originally Posted by imightbechad In Texas, a death penalty case costs taxpayers an average of $2.3 million (appeals, etc), about three times the cost of imprisoning someone in a single cell at the...
Quote: Originally Posted by California Dreamer Flagrant plug. The film my son co-produced comes out this week. It got 4/5 stars from our leading film reviewer, David Stratton. It's a tense and beautiful film, and not at all gory (given the subject matter - cannibal convict Alexander Pierce). Van Diemen's Land was marketed at Cannes and is doing the festival circuit. It's been sold in UK and Germany so far. If you get the chance see it, it is...