or Connect

Posts by lefty

I'm pretty sure that's par for the course for any NYC neighbourhood.   Had my details wrong. The guy who abandoned his apt did so because of the FBI. The CIA guy (5F) was an undercover CIA operative (he was known as "the black Steven Seagal") who was arrested and convicted for drugging and raping a women in Cairo while serving as the bureau chief.    lefty
I will never give up my truck.   An another NYC note: when you make friends with the head of the co-op board and get them drunk one night you hear the best stories. Like the brothel being run out of apt 4D. Or the guy in 12A who spent 1M renovating then abandoned his apt fleeing into the night when the CIA came looking for him.    Never dull here.   lefty
Heart Pine was used in a lot of Craftsman houses at the turn of the century. It is strong and beautiful, and as it came from very tall trees was available in long lengths. Unfortunately we more or less knocked all the Longleaf Pine so the only place to get it now is from mills that reclaim old factories, warehouses, or sunken logs.   My old house was filled with it and I loved the colour and grain.   lefty
"Is it safe?"   lefty
Douglas, I know that slate roofs are expensive, but I'd be inclined to get that sorted before beginning attic renovations. Especially if someone is trying to do a quick fix on the worst parts. Warm and dry are your goals.   lefty
That was like an episode of Thirtysomething.   lefty
An auction estimate is much like a contractor estimate - it's designed just to get you to say, "seems fair."   Nakashima has been very collectible for the last 10 years. It's well made, beautiful and works in nearly every situation. 30k seems on the high side, but it's not unfair.   lefty
Finally sorted the framing out.   Got in touch with the artist and she gave me the name of her NY framer - Laumont, who are a high-end printing house. Went with dibond as a mounting surface, a simple black maple frame and museum plex for glazing with delivery.    40% less than my highest quote.   lefty
Start scouring your parent's rec rooms.   lefty
There are no cuts. They CU transitions were done to avoid having a new body part just pop on.   lefty