or Connect

Posts by aravenel

Actually had a CTS rental a few years back. Nice car--but if I were going that route, I'd just buy the BMW.Subaru WRX is too much of a car for a 20 year old. Though to some degree, so is the GTI, I suppose.
I feel like they are one of those things that are either going to be bullet proof, or put you through the ringer. When stuff goes though, it's not cheap. My experience was that the car was great until things started to go--when they did, many things started to go in series, and I ended up spending about 60% of the value of the car over a year in repairs before I called it quits.The Carmax warranty is pretty interesting if you are looking at some true reliability monsters....
Actually moving to Georgia, which is where I would be leasing it--which surprises me. Their auto taxes are nuts.We're also going to have to pay full sales tax *again* on our car when we move. Paid taxes to New York 3 months ago, going to pay them again to Georgia. Many states don't make you pay sales tax to register a car if the tax was paid elsewhere--but Georgia does. Will have paid almost $6k in sales taxes on a $30k car by the time we are done with it.
Actually leasing was my first thought for exactly those reasons, but you get screwed on the taxes in my state. You pay taxes on the full value of the car up front--not just the portion you "use"--and if you choose to exercise the lease purchase option at the end, you pay the full sales tax *again* (adjusted to the now partially depreciated vehicle, but still). Bummer.
Not to sound like a broken record... I'm wary of older German cars. Once the little things start to go, they can get expensive to maintain. If you are comfortable doing the wrenching yourself, then fine, but just know what you are getting into. It's not even the core mechanicals that are the problem (usually), it's the little electrical issues and support system problems that pop up. Obviously wonderful cars to drive, just know the trade offs.We test drove a Mazda 6 and...
Yeah, grill pans are basically worthless in my experience. Especially on something like a steak, where you want the deep browning across the full surface. Not enough surface contact--everything not touching one of the raised lines is cooking basically through radiation, and there just isn't that much heat transfer there.At this point, I think I prefer cooking my steaks in a pan to on the grill because of the level of crust you can easily get.
Serious Eats did a sous vide steak guide a month or two back. Their "Food Lab" pieces are generally pretty good.http://www.seriouseats.com/2015/06/food-lab-complete-guide-to-sous-vide-steak.html
Speaking of having just bought a CX-5, we will actually be looking for a second car here in the very near future. Wanted to see if there was anything from this crowd that I should really be considering. Here’s the use case: Mostly will be used for commuting—i.e. needs to be economical, both for gas and maintenance Needs some amount of practicality—would like to be able to get a bike in the back (seats can be down—not likely to be a problem with most 4-door cars). Needs...
Wife and I bought a CX-5 about three months ago and love it. Drives better than a CUV has any right to, and yet still has all the practicality of that class (size, ride height, etc). We ended up with the highest trim level, and it's very nice inside as well--maybe not a Lexus, but *way* above your average econobox.Happy to answer any questions about it.
It was touch and go there for a bit, but I made it through.