or Connect

Posts by Gent

The Saxony: warm enough for winter? I'm thinking of either a Saxony or a Duke but haven't found any place to actually try them on. The idea would be to wear the jacket with casual stuff, including and up to sports coats, and during the winter. I live up north so it gets proper cold (well below freezing, think -20 C) and these claim to be heavyweights. Has anyone tried them in the winter? I would be wearing reasonable layers, but don't need a jacket that requires excessive...
Here's a novel idea: instead of asking a forum that doesn't know anyone attending the wedding, why don't you call the people that are actually getting married?
Quote: Originally Posted by clubman Academic and diplomatic practices are separate from general practice. In the UK the black vest with a dress coat was a winter time and Court mourning garment. The Little Dook had one by Scholte, as already mentioned in this thread, made long after 1900. True enough, but academia is nearly all one can resort to with the current state of formal dress. Just pointing out that in very specific circles, it's...
Quote: Originally Posted by Manton Not sure. I don't recall seeing it. However, if you look at (say) Charles Dana Gibson drawings, everyone has a black vest. Then After about 1900 it's mostly white and after WWI it's all white. Oddly enough, the black vest with tailcoat is still alive in unexpected parts of Europe. Apparently this is related to those countries whose universities have strong German influences. I don't know the exact...
Quote: Originally Posted by pvrhye Seriously though, she could use a little exercise, but she's not a big girl. In Korea she'd be fat, but in Tennessee she's Kate Moss. Those thighs look like they're born out of excercise, not over-eating. They appear muscular rather than flabby.
Quote: Originally Posted by Lightbringer This would depend on what books you have access to and what sort of fabric characteristics you are looking at. A simple color and design is insufficient to do a good narrowing. Well, I'm sure I can manage any books if need be. Anything from the fairly known merchants (H&S, Dormeui etc.l) would be easier, of course. British fabrics and merchants are easiest. As far as the fabric characteristics:...
Just a quick question, as there seems to be a lot of cloth knowledge here. I'm looking for a cloth to make into a summer SC. Blue - not midnight, not a real dark navy, but nothing too light either; think more of an Italian type summer blue - with a strong white windowpane check, in a nice summer weight. What books or even specific cloths should I be looking into? Thanks.
I don't understand this "sourced from India" crap either. Even with workmanship this argument is used very poorly around here, but now we're talking about raw materials. What difference does the source of the material make? Absolutely none, it's the quality that counts. I'm also baffled by some industry experts who can identify the birthplace of any given cow just by looking at a pair of shoes. Many companies keep their sourcing business confidential (you know, a...
Quote: Are these ever seen at SF or Seattle Opera? Sure, on the orchestra. Do you play an instrument? Some guests might turn up in black tie, but that's probably on opening nights and that sort of thing. (Never having actually been to either, it's a guess.) Quote: Any restaurants require black tie? Might be, but wearing white tie would be so much cooler, now wouldn't it? Quote: I think every once and a while...
On the basis of that pic, it looks like a really nice fit.