or Connect

Posts by Sam Hober

Iron Rock,Thank you for your kind words although I think there may be a misconception of our cost structure. We actually have a small Thai staff of seamstresses that do a lot of very detailed hand work for us; but much of the work, as in all the design work of each individual pattern (we do not mass produce ties as Drakes mostly does) and all the quality control and all the customer contact is done by Americans.Also the hand work done by our Thai staff is much more...
Yes, we make silk scarves (no fringes currently) although you may need to email us as we have only a few on our website.We use 50% madder, Macclesfield prints, Thais silk and wool challis etc..You can order - single side or double/tube scarves and we also do scarves with rolled edges.An example of a two sided/tube 50 oz Macclesfield Madder Scarf:
Axel Ferguson,Actually, the silk has been set aside for a couple of years, but we only started on the bow tie last week.The small details will be what is different and the custom pattern/construction.I actually do stare at designs daily for weeks at a time when thinking about new silks.
Sanguis Mortuum,You are correct.Currently we are working on a midnight blue faille silk bow tie that was requested 2 or 3 years ago for a tuxedo.We are experimenting with different fabrics and constructions. Although at the moment we only plan on ties that are custom sized - as in no adjustors.
For luxury products materials are indeed a significant factor as is time for pattern making etc.In our case we have ranges of lengths for a given price and we don't typically get a large percentage of orders outside a certain size range.When the height/length is slightly smaller we may have a small savings on materials but not much as we need a certain profit to cover fixed overheads.We do get orders for boys (typically for weddings) and if they are very small we can give...
A Tailor,Your question is more interesting than you think as there are university colors and then there are university athletic colors and then there is at times home and away colors and there are historical and current colors...Then if you start with University official Pantone colors (which is where we start) you have to interpret the colors on silk which can be tricky at times.Indiana's cream was very difficult to get correct - but now we are very happy with our Indiana...
Cuttingboard,It is a style choice with no practical purpose.
A beautiful set of ties.
Cousin Donuts,I understand that you are joking but you got me thinking about the Italian documentary film that has been promoting its trailer - the old tailors talk about learning to sew when they were young.I think that if you don't start young you will rarely get the small details of making clothing - very much like sports - you typically need to start playing ball almost as soon as you can run.I know that when I was young I started by sweeping the floors on the weekends...
D.B. Cooper,You sound like you are parent who understands these things.We do have another business named Benjamin Hober. Its purpose is to grow silk worms, reel, dye and weave silk on our family farm here in Thailand. Up to now we have only woven traditional Thai silk but later we may do more Western style jacquard weaving.Both Sam and Benjamin are growing up playing in our workshops after school so we will see later what direction they will take.