or Connect

Posts by Sam Hober

Dimitris, Yes, you should be able to attach silk to both shaped and tube knit ties. I can't tell from your photo what type of silk it is. Here is an example of a dark red faille silk which may be easier to view (making the photo bigger may help ). Faille and Grosgrain are almost the same both ribbed silks. Your pointed end and width comments are interesting - thank you. I am not sure if a pointed end would need a wider width. Interestingly there actually is a...
I have been reading every post and enjoying this thread. Sam Hober (Samantha my daughter) who is now 10 years old and studying different knit weaves after school has been my guide about the pros and cons of different knit weaves. To date we have talking about hand knitting and the type of yarn that will work well for knit ties. We can make a custom knit tie but it is a very slow process... We are also exploring using a knitting machine either here in our new workshop...
Amiro555, You look great in the bow tie as it is. A 2 inch vertical height on the ends would also look good - but would be a different look. If possible try 2.25 inches as the middle road...
The Black Bruce Wayne,Pocket squares can start with a woven fabric design or a printed design.The range and source of fabrics is endless...The rolled edges are when done correctly done very slowly as in one hour plus for rolling sewing and balancing.You won't save money by doing it yourself if you value your time but it might be fun and relaxing?Here is some information on making a pocket square:https://www.samhober.com/howtomakeapocketsquare/howtomakeapocketsquare.htmSome...
"I'm a fan of using the PS to express my mood and accent my outfit." I also like to use pocket squares and ties to express my mood rather than be overly concerned about colors. As an example if it is the middle of winter and I feel cheerful (or want to feel cheerful...) I will often wear a bright "summer" color. When the weather is hot (often) here in Thailand I will not wear a jacket but I might still wear a pocket square in the pocket of my button down shirts. Both...
Thank you for your patience while we made this bow tie and took the photos.This bow tie is an unlined one made with a Macclesfield printed twill silk. We left the top half unpressed in this photo so you can see the difference.Here you can see the unlined inside of the bow tie:Both sides have now been pressed:The finished unlined bow tie (Note if the vertical height of the ends is taller the unlined aspect of the tie will show more with a soft unstructured look which I have...
Flying Monkey,I can't say for sure from your description but it sounds like the tie needs to be opened and then put back together - the interlining may need to be replaced.As a general rule you should have the tie maker help you as they will have the original interlining etc.So your best option is to have Conrad Wu help you.With tie alteration shops you get what you pay for and they will not do as good a job as the original tie maker.Doing it yourself will not save you any...
Dimitris,Interesting that you should mention knits as my daughter Samantha - Sam Hober - has been knitting scarves recently and is working on ideas for knitting ties.We still want to create knit ties but we are not yet ready.Normally knit ties are made like very long socks which limits the number of sizes that are practical.We need to come up with a solution that allows us to quickly change widths and lengths etc..
4135W,"36oz" is an old term that used to refer to the weight of a length of silk around 10 yards long. Now it is a marketing term used by Adamley in Macclesfield England for one variety of their printed silks.The silk is a twill weave and not heavy nor is it stiff - so there must be some other variable at play here such as perhaps a heavy and stiff interlining that is not what you are comfortable with?Is your tie a printed twill silk?
41L35W,Perhaps some of the ties are wider than others?I wonder what the difference is in fabrics?