or Connect

Posts by Sam Hober

Ac,I do typically refer to grenadine as a loose weave but it is also referred to as a type of silk fabric.And looking at rolls of it in our fabric room I think of it as a raw material.We make grenadine ties with a cashmere/silk mix and there is a subtle difference in the final feeling.The cashmere/silk grenadine makes a slightly tighter and smaller knot. And the texture has a cashmere feeling.I wear grenadines year round of all types but some might say that the cashmere...
I have not heard of any palace revolts so I assume that he still holds his title of King of the 3 inch ties, and will do so for a long time...
I may be wrong but I believe it was "The King of the 3 inch ties" and the gentleman was Kent Wang - who has gone on to create a really cool clothing based business.I am very impressed with what he has done.I agree with you about fashion trends I always advise to look at your body size (which doesn't usually change much) when thinking about tie widths not tie lapels.
Yes.One additional thought:Printed silks (often twills) can be woven on a jacquard loom before being printed on.This further shows that technically jacquards are a very large group of fabrics - very large...Voltaire once said:I may detest what you have to say but I will die for your right to say it - perhaps slightly exaggerated for this issue but you gentlemen get the idea.For the historians out there something very...
Thank you sir.
Thank you - interesting to see how the word is used in different contexts.I also like it that different regions have their own styles.
Your trips to the Alps sound like fun, and Indonesia has very beautiful fabrics.What language I wonder is "ikat" originally from?It is a word that is used by many people but I can tell you that in Thailand the correct word is mudmee and the local artisans will not be happy if you use ikat to describe the yarn dyeing technique that they have been using for as long as they can remember.I mention this as it is important from a perspective simply being polite and respecting...
I am not sure what to say - jacquard weaving is a very cool technical innovation - from the below article it may have been a combination of the work of different people which sounds logical but I have not studied the history or mechanics of a jacquard loom and I don't personally know how to operate one but I have the general idea.Keep in mind that many tie brands are just that brands not tie makers and they might not know as much as they seem to and sometimes they totally...
In general all tie fabrics are woven (a few exceptions, knits come to mind), so saying a jacquard means woven is not very helpful.Forums like SF are certainly about fun but they serve a real purpose in explaining the technical aspects of clothes and I am strong supporter of this.EliodA,One of the best parts of Lyon is that you can walk almost anywhere.As I recall walking up the hill to the old Roman site and the cathedral is a bit of a walk but great exercise and gets you...
I don't typically use the term jacquard in conversation as it is like air everywhere in the world of silk...Printed ties commonly use a twill silk although there are lots of possibilities.I am not aware that "jacquard" has become vernacular for anything.Perhaps recently some SF posters have started to use it?I have been part of SF basically since the beginning (a bit more than 10 years) and I don't recall any use of the term jacquard as a type of tie until very recently....