or Connect

Posts by Sam Hober

Brazil also produces raw silk for export.China does not focus on quality currently but in the distant past wove beautiful silk and probably will again in the future.Italian fabric has a wonderful finish which is probably its biggest claim to fame.The handwoven silk that you hear about in India and Thailand is typically different not better or worse than Italian silk.We have woven silk in Thailand that is rough with slubs and we have woven smooth silk. It depends on what...
Nonchalant,I love your way of thinking outside the box - are you an engineer?Your method has worked for you and could work for others but has the possibility of not working and perhaps damaging the silk so as an inexpensive and quick method it is attractive but has some danger.Cappelli has a good reputation as a tie maker so you may want to consider sending it back to them if the tie has sentimental value.If the tie does not have sentimental value then it may not be a good...
Grenadines are indeed a loose weave and should be kept away from sharp edges and velcro as should all loose weaves. As far as pilling type wear I don't see too much of that with grenadines unless a tight knot is used. Pulls can be fixed by pushing them back into the silk - not cutting. Sometimes it is easy and sometimes challenging - we use a large needle. Recently I took a new piece of grenadine silk and tried to get a pull dozens of times as an experiment without...
Air conditioning on the dry setting works well for us. We keep it on in our silk room 24 hours a day.
Correct (for all imports by all sellers) - DHL, UPS, FEDEX, TNT etc are all about the same: they collect what the law requires plus a small fee usually around $5 for paying your duties and VAT tax upfront for you. In some countries the fee is higher because of more clearance paperwork. Sometimes if you are lucky there will be no duty or VAT collected by DHL.The post office often has no duty collected but this a country by country determination.A large part of Europe (and...
Customs is an interesting subject with many variables. (This is for all neckties not just ours) Please note - do not rely on my observations. For example there is a customs duty within the USA on neckties but it is small as someone mentioned basically the same as sales tax. The duty is rarely collected by the US post office - why - your guess is as good as mine. DHL, UPS etc. typically do collect customs duty (again small like sales tax) and charge a small fee for the...
Bounder,Thank you for your question - PM sent - emails are always best for questions that require a personal answer.
Message sent.A question for David Hober: Is the blue elephant print on the left below going to be available again? (There is another one on the website with the same pattern but in a purple tone, but I can't find the blue one.)Message sent.
Archibaldleach,A good question I have sent you a PM.Thank you,David
Flyswatter,Your comments are good ones.I have been meaning to write more extensively on measuring and will later but let me share some thoughts now.First, my comments are not specific to Sam Hober but apply to all luxury custom/bespoke tie makers:Ties will be measured at all points along the way to being completed and at the tie makers work area you will see a calculator and ruler.These measurements are by the person doing the the work and one other person as a quality...