or Connect

Posts by Sam Hober

Quote: Originally Posted by The Transporter For myself, I'm wearing a morning coat with a high-wing collar detachable collared shirt and plan to wear an ascot with it. Any suggestions where to find a self-tie, non-cheesy one of those? The Transporter, Congratulations on the upcoming wedding. We make bespoke classic ascots if you have enough time before the wedding. I don't think that we have photos on our website but if you email me I...
Quote: Originally Posted by xiaoli ..... I suppose the fabric itself affects penetration as well... Exactly. And the style of printing.
Quote: Originally Posted by JohnnyCrockett What are the advantages of a 7-fold or lined 6-fold tie versus more normal (3-fold) construction? Besides the SF fascination with photographing folds, does the tie actually tie a better knot? Is a 6- or 7-fold tie typically thicker or thinner than a lined 3-fold? Which holds up better/longer. Trying to figure this out before I place my next Hober order. With a custom made tie there will be little or...
Quote: Originally Posted by SpooPoker David - I think I am close to pulling the trigger on a few pieces. Whats the best way to get my order to you? SpooPoker, For questions please email me at: customerservice@samhober.com All orders go through our website so that we can keep track of them. However, I am very happy to help you with placing the order. ThinkDerm, Email me next week and I will be happy to send you more swatches if yours have...
Quote: Originally Posted by ThinkDerm waiting for my swatches. For those in NY - how long does it take for items to arrive via mail from Hober once he mails them out? ThinkDerm, We mail swatch requests within one or two days. To New York it takes on average 2 weeks for airmail - which we use for swatches. 3 weeks for registered airmail which we use for orders 1 week for express mail (EMS) with tracking Note that all times are on average...
Quote: Originally Posted by john parker My apologies for being both late and lazy. Not wishing to read through all the pages, I do have a couple of pocket square questions. I gather that silk is not the most desireable fabric if one will be wearing a silk tie? The better option being linen? Can one make a "pouf" effectively with a linen square? My only experience to date is using linen folded. Thanks for any input, John Silk makes for a...
Quote: Originally Posted by NOBD ..... I think it will look very nice with my cotton summer suit, though grenadine might be an autumn/winter fabric? Grenadines are without a doubt a year-round fabric. Regarding fabrics and seasons there is a school of thought that considers the season/weather but is not controlled by it. As an example if it is the middle of winter with a snow storm outside I would not hesitate to wear a cheerful bright...
Quote: Originally Posted by juvefan it was more about the process and achievement than anything Juvefan, Well said! You can certainly make your own pocket squares with lots of patience. If you made model airplanes and ships as a boy you are off to a good start. When you have a moment please do a search as there have been some threads where I helped and commented on other people trying to make their own pocket squares. You should not sew...
Quote: Originally Posted by NOBD ... Thank you, David. Well, I'm a wedding guest; not sure that counts... I will check the site anyway. The silvery grey is indeed probably to silvery for me; I like a relaxed, informal look (the wedding isn't a formal one either). What do you think of the Grenadine Fina with this (lightweight) cotton suit? Other fabric recommendations? I like some texture in the fabric. Being a wedding guest certainly counts -...
Quote: Originally Posted by NOBD Good points, Kaplan. Silvery is not what I want. Besides, I need the tie before June 20 (in The Netherlands), so maybe Sam Hober isn't an option for this one. NOBD, For weddings or special events we often can make a tie in one or two days if you ask us. The rest is up to the mailing choice that you prefer. As Kaplan mentions width is not an issue. We do not have any ties on hand only rolls of fabric. So you...