or Connect

Posts by Sam Hober

Sprout2,You are very close to being correct about another concern. Let me add some detail:The issue is not exactly being concerned about the finished look - as if we are given directions and we think it is practical we can normally have the tie look good; but more like what happens if old silk is too frayed to sew back together or there is another problem and we have to open up the tie again and use more silk?We as normal practice check the balance constantly and we have...
I will do more military designs - speaking of regimental history when you have time please email me with a couple of paragraphs that you would like in the tie description.I think writing about the history is really important and I have not done enough of this.
Sprout2,I have been in denial at my lack of tax skills and for some reason I thought I was smart enough to do everything by hand no software and CPA help.But now I have started buying Turbotax and I feel much better.I don't owe less money but I feel better - not sure why...Sprout2, I am very curious are you an advertising copywriter at your day job?
Caustic man,Yes, I remember you and that opens a different subject which I really enjoy - history.I am inclined to do more military designs in the future.As for remaking ties apologies for any confusion but we don't normally offer that service for a number of reasons the chief one being that we have more fun making our own ties.We do at times remake our own ties. On occasion we will remake another makers ties everything is case by case. Actually that is how I am able to...
Sprout2,Contact Andy the owner at Tiecrafters and tell him your thoughts he might surprise you.A long time ago I spoke with him and he explained to me how he does his tie alterations - he does a good job for the price but it is more expensive to remake a tie which is often what is needed.Remaking is totally taking a tie apart and using a new interlining as needed and changing the shape and length etc. then putting the tie back together.
Caustic Man,Normally no but there are always exceptions and your case is the exception.So to answer your question, yes, it can be done and yes, you should try it.
Tax Genius,Twisting is a defect in construction, if it twists when you first buy it. Part of making a luxury tie is during several different stages of construction holding the tie up and seeing if it twists, if it does you remake the tie.If it twists later (after wearing it) there may be for another reason - maybe TweedyProf's deconstruction would be needed to find the root cause.Hermes may use a light interlining for design reasons, they could like the look but it may not...
TweedyProf,Bringing price into the discussion is not a mistake as it is part of the charm of a well made tie - not how it is expensive but the opposite if you can find a well made tie with a fabric that you like that you can wear for years then it is not expensive at all. Divide the price by the number of years that you wear it. The same for shirts and suits.Normally all luxury tie makers do a fairly good job and the silk is almost always beautifully made. Drakes for...
From the photo look straight at the tip on the left side at the point it is not as it could be - also this is a good example, I have seen many ties from England with poor rolled edges.In person looking at the tie I might not like the balance of the folding - but I can't comment from the photo.When you are working very slowly you rarely get that irregular look and whoever is checking if making a luxury tie will have the work redone. At Drakes price point every small detail...
TweedyProf,My pleasure to help - a long answer would probably need some illustrations to be useful. I will do it as time allows.Bespoke vs Ready made is a good theory and may very well be the answer in addition to, not instead of my guess of in-house vs contract.Sometimes you can see loose stitches up and down the back of the tie - very easy to see.Very easy to see a tie tip that is not formed correctly irregular shape and sort of a puckered look at times.Rolled edges take...