or Connect

Posts by Sam Hober

I do not travel anywhere frequently as I have two small children. We have a farm in Korat province but I never visit it.Yes, you make a good point about Burma I know that they have a silk weaving tradition. Also just a thought maybe some tailors come from a family trained from the days of the British?I have not been to Sakon Nakhon but it is in the North-East which is famous for silk weaving.The sad thing is that there are very few young weavers.If the demand goes up for...
I have imported wool. silk, linen and cotton fabric from Europe the 17.5% only applied to silk. Asean countries might have lower duties.I don't know much about Jim Thompson - but they have some beautiful fabrics and they sell quite a bit to interior designers.Northern Thailand is not typically a good source for silk the North-East is where most of the best weaving is typically done.Laos and Cambodia also have beautiful silk.
"In a juicy twist, it has been speculated that there is a monopoly of textile imports in Thailand by a particular aristocratic Thai family. Some Thai tailors have also been linked to this family. However, this is all conjecture." A sartorial myth... Textiles are imported daily by many different businesses. Silk is 17.5% for duty plus 7% VAT this is not typically used in suits so not an issue. Linen, cotton and wool is normally 5% duty plus 7% VAT. So making up an...
Archaeoguy, Congratulations on the upcoming wedding. You should always follow what looks correct in your eyes. The ties in your example are normal woven ties with no embroidery that I can see in the photos. They look to be made in China - so the construction will be very basic 3-fold with an artificial fabric for the interlining or maybe if you are lucky a low end wool. If you spend a month searching you will probably find an Italian tie that has a similar design...
I have not met any Bangkok tailors that I remember so I don't know who would accept your own cloth. With that said Thailand is a flexible country and charm and politeness goes a long way...
I have not looked at Chiang Mai's tailors in around 15 years - but at that time there was only about two tailor shops that did their own work and were worth using - I don't remember the names - but you would know because they have some real wool on hand and have been in business for many years. Still only one or two probably."Fair enough. I guess I'll just have to walk around the top of Sampeng and Pahurat next time. Although, if you did this a few years ago, then perhaps...
It is true that overall the level of tailoring is currently not that high in Thailand but it is not correct that the skill will never match that of Saville row.I live and work and Thailand and I see changes that you may not...
ELG,Very happy that you like your ties.Good luck with your dry cleaner search - if I hear of a good one in San Rafael I will let you know.I like the San Rafael to San Anselmo/Fairfax area great hiking on the weekend.While I love the Chiang Mai Mountains where we live now, Mt Tam has some special ecosystems like Muir woods that make it special.Growing up I loved running on the trails in thew Redwood forests.
ELG, Where in Marin are you? I wonder if you searched the IJ online if you might find some good suggestions? I grew up in Tiburon and the dry cleaner downtown was always very busy but that would be very far for you if you are in for example the San Rafael area.
We do not work with any other companies.I also feel that you should look first to body size rather than lapels.