or Connect

Posts by Sam Hober

Your tie looks great 3.75 inches is the normal width and below 3.5 inches is narrow (unless you are very thin) I never go below 3.5 inches.
I like a narrower tie when the shirt collar is smaller and very often shorter ties have narrower widths - in general not sure about rough Shantungs and Thai silk being special in this regard...
Yes it is a small world.
SkinnyT,I understand your search, sadly you are not going to find a luxury conservative tie in the price range that you are talking about unless the tie is on sale or used.Some thoughts:1) The quality of the silk in that website won't be anywhere near the silk that you like in the photos. The silk will be more like the Tie Bar ties and will most likely be low grade Chinese silk.2) If you are price sensitive try the last tie in your list as it is the closest to what you...
Claghorn,"I think the preference for knits over grenadines lies in the casualness of knits."I wonder if the perceived casualness is cultural?"Shaped over sock all day. I think they hang a bit better (speaking only of silk) and just look better constructed.'The shaped knits are better constructed but some prefer the tube construction again I wonder is that cultural.In summary some prefer a simple tube and some prefer a shaped knit.For width again there is variation.The flat...
Dimitis,You have a photo of a shaped knit now non shaped knits are simple tubes - nothing complicated - just one even width.I don't know about Scozzi ties but again it is easy to tell if the ties are shaped.Unless you are talking about low end Chinese ties or something like that most ties are basically made correctly. The difference between a low and high end luxury tie is in the materials used and the amount of slow careful handwork. Many tiemakers claim to make handmade...
"Finally, I did not certainly say that I dont't like shaped knit ties, my mere point as I mentioned above, is that we commoners can hardly be in the position to unequivocally decide which method is the best; all we can do is perhaps having preferences in final products where other factors are involved as well!" Dimitris, From my point of view everyone's style choices are equal. So there are no "commoners" in the fashion world. When my father was young and in the...
Dimitris, Yes, you should be able to attach silk to both shaped and tube knit ties. I can't tell from your photo what type of silk it is. Here is an example of a dark red faille silk which may be easier to view (making the photo bigger may help ). Faille and Grosgrain are almost the same both ribbed silks. Your pointed end and width comments are interesting - thank you. I am not sure if a pointed end would need a wider width. Interestingly there actually is a...
I have been reading every post and enjoying this thread. Sam Hober (Samantha my daughter) who is now 10 years old and studying different knit weaves after school has been my guide about the pros and cons of different knit weaves. To date we have talking about hand knitting and the type of yarn that will work well for knit ties. We can make a custom knit tie but it is a very slow process... We are also exploring using a knitting machine either here in our new workshop...