or Connect

Posts by Sam Hober

Tweedy Prof,All ties stretch to some extent - in addition to the variables listed above - the looser the weave all things considered the more a tie will stretch.The stretch that you notice could be from how you wear your ties or it could easily be a variance in how the tie was made and have nothing to do with you.Or it could be a mixture of the two.
WillingToLearn,A good point about stretching - unfortunately stretching is more of an art than a science as there are a number of variables.1) Grenadines are a loose weave and do have a tendency to stretch - some stretching can happen the first time that you wear it and more stretching can happen over time.2) The more you wear a tie the more likely there will be stretching.3) Tying a tight knot tends to increase stretching.4) The longer a tie is the more that it will tend...
Markboots and ThunderMarch,It is my pleasure to answer questions - my comments are actually brief summaries - when time allows I plan to make much more detailed comments.
ThunderMarch,Thank you for your kind words.Finishing is an art and the Italian fabric makers perform magic.As an example heat and pressure and humidity and chemicals can all play a part in fabric finishing.Think of fabric finishing as a recipe using the above ingredients and more.For our ties a large percent of the time I ask for a soft finish which might involve a simple application of heat and pressure after weaving. We also use a dry crisp finish for some silks.I...
Tweedy Prof,"...but I have developed a good rapport..."It takes some energy to communicate across long distances in a second language - so you have created your good experience with Patrizio's ties. Congratulations.I understand your feelings about fabrics. This morning I was looking at some 10 year old swatches that were beautifully woven but had satin stripes on reppe silk - too bright for most of our customers. I still loved the fabrics - and may adjust the colors and...
Suitntieguy,Thank you for your kind words.TweedyProf has a lot of experience with Cappelli ties so I am going to lean in his direction as to why some are better than others. Maybe readymade vs custom made?Patrizo sounds very friendly and like someone that you can talk to and as long as you get his custom made ties (I think? - smiling) you will be fine and get a better value than the name brands - unless they have a design that you really like.I still would enjoy meeting...
Thai shot silk is often very bright but mudmee is not so bright sometimes very dark.Swatches is always a good idea.
Diplomatic Ties,There are always regional trends around the world so I interested to hear that Drakes has been an influence in Sweden - thank you for letting me know. I know that without reading SF I would perhaps not know who Drakes are as they are not well known in America. But I do know that they have some great classic designs.Beautiful knots is a personal thought and I respect your point of view."...they have special fabrics made for just them."Making special fabrics...
"TweedyProf"In the past we had more rough silks with patterns and they were popular as a small niche; but there were not enough people asking for them.Perhaps Patrizo and I think alike - the next time you talk to him tell him that I admire his ties and he is welcome to visit us if he is ever in the north of Thailand.In the past we did more dyeing but time has not allowed that sort of work in recent years but I will think about it.Thank you for your suggestion.
"is copywriter and extreme text producer extraordinaire,..."I knew it.You probably read mad magazine as a kid.