or Connect

Posts by Sam Hober

Canada does have high taxes compared to the US.In America the tax for ties is 7.2% and the DHL fee is about $6 so roughly the same as sales tax from a brick and mortar store.When using the post office the taxes are still technically due but often in America taxes are not collected and sometimes not collected in Canada.In Northern Europe taxes can be even higher.
"Hi David, could you please tell me whether there is a quality difference between inkjet printing, silk screening and hand printing. And since when the former is being used. Is it used by both English and Italian producers? And how can it be recognized? I heard you can tell it's inkjet printing when the back of the silk is white. Interested to hear your thoughts. Thanks in advance." C&A, Yes, English and Italian printers are using digital printers - I don't know for what...
Notreknip,Your comments are very good ones for any online clothing maker (not only us) when you say:"The relationship between the shade on my screen and the shade in real life is quite consistent."It is not currently possible for any clothing website to show up the same on everyone's monitor as even if photos are perfect (which is difficult with silk) there are many monitors out there and even if you are using the same monitor your settings could be different.And even with...
Archaeoguy, Congratulations on the upcoming wedding. You should always follow what looks correct in your eyes. The ties in your example are normal woven ties with no embroidery that I can see in the photos. They look to be made in China - so the construction will be very basic 3-fold with an artificial fabric for the interlining or maybe if you are lucky a low end wool. If you spend a month searching you will probably find an Italian tie that has a similar design...
In general with custom made ties the knots are going to be as you like them. So in theory there is no difference between a 3-fold, 4-fold or 6-fold - unless you want a difference. Also a 4-fold construction is typically useful for loose weaves not to add weight but to increase the durability of the back of the tie. All the four major grenadine weaves are equal in terms of beauty and versatility - but beauty is in the eye of the beholder... 3.75 inches is the classic...
Wonderful news!
Applky,I have never used TieCrafters but they have a very good reputation and I think that if you have concerns about their work you should talk to them.I have not heard much about Rave Fabricare and while they probably due a good job there is no chance that they can put a tie back together as good as we can make one.Luxury custom tie making is a specialized art and very few tie makers are still left in this business.Unless it is an emergency please do not clean your ties...
Evolve, Good luck with the interviews. Sounds like you are well on your way to getting the job.
The interesting thing about construction is that while it can be time consuming - it is very creative. Picking not paint colors but the type of paint and primer is something I have not thought about before for houses. Yesterday I had a discussion about the merits of two types of primer for water based paint on eaves. One type of primer allows the use of spraying but may not be quite as good as the other type in terms of the paint lasting a long time. I went with the hand...
tchoy,From the photo the white interlining is cotton which will typically add no noticeable weight.The other interlining is wool and I can't say from the photo the exact weight.We would have responded to a request for the lightest interlining with the lightest that works well for that fabric.We might have a slightly lighter fabric but if we don't think it would work we are reluctant to use it. The reason is that over time I have noticed that 90%+ of the time we do know...