or Connect

Posts by Sam Hober

Measurement variances with a custom made/bespoke tie will result from a variety of reasons with cutting being the smallest reason. A luxury hand made tie will have variances in measurements from day to day and over time there will often be stretching. Remember the edges will/should be soft and the entire tie will flex and move as you wear it. What you need to look for in a luxury tie is the overall fit and finish. As an example if you request rolled edges - the edges...
Fabric costs as a percentage of a tie's price vary quite a bit depending on the fabric quality and the tie price.I can tell you that our silk costs keep going up and we have high VAT and duty etc to pay so our fabric costs are very high; yet we normally do not raise our prices.I am not sure how you do your math but I don't think we have ever had an extra long tie that even remotely approached double the price of a 59 inch tie perhaps you are thinking of someone else? For...
Our Macclesfield prints are hand screened in Macclesfield, England by David Evans/Adamley. Note some say David Evans has disappeared but I can tell you that we have received invoices from them within the last 10 years... So maybe the company ghost is still printing and invoicing.And I was told that when Silk Industries bought Adamley and David Evans they were merged and only the physical David Evans location was closed down. Staff, art etc mostly simply moved, so not much...
If your old tailor wasn't working for you - look for another - otherwise stick with him.We are now just outside of Chiang Mai in Sansai near MaeJo University.
Time is one of the most important parts of the equation.Make your order on your first day.Normally bringing your own fabric is a good idea but considering where you are perhaps using fabric available at the tailor is a good idea.Have you tried to find your old tailor?
A funny thing about pricing in Thailand, there is not only two prices but often 3 or 4 prices as an example: We buy a lot of orchids and trees at a market here in Chiang Mai. If I ask the price it might be 600 baht if my wife asks the price in Thai it might be 375 baht, and if someone who is local asks the price in the Chiang Mai dialect of Thai it might be 300 baht. And if a local friend asks maybe 275. So the simple solution is to have a friend ask for you...
Yes.Silk is very beautiful but not as abrasion resistant.
Stores like Jim Thompson or Shinawatra are more expensive but you will have no stress - pure silk and nice designs.Stay away from street vendors.Your tailor will probably be able to fine good silk for you - hopefully having it on hand.
Some thoughts: We never accept a client's fabric unless we are already making ties for them and have a pattern on hand; and even then we do not make any money on the transaction. Using new fabric for us is always a learning process in how a fabric will stretch or move. This process takes time and our time is expensive (American design and management not local Thai) - having a pattern on hand helps in all ways. We spend a lot of time looking at the fabric so we don't...