or Connect

Posts by Sam Hober

A funny thing about pricing in Thailand, there is not only two prices but often 3 or 4 prices as an example: We buy a lot of orchids and trees at a market here in Chiang Mai. If I ask the price it might be 600 baht if my wife asks the price in Thai it might be 375 baht, and if someone who is local asks the price in the Chiang Mai dialect of Thai it might be 300 baht. And if a local friend asks maybe 275. So the simple solution is to have a friend ask for you...
Yes.Silk is very beautiful but not as abrasion resistant.
Stores like Jim Thompson or Shinawatra are more expensive but you will have no stress - pure silk and nice designs.Stay away from street vendors.Your tailor will probably be able to fine good silk for you - hopefully having it on hand.
Some thoughts: We never accept a client's fabric unless we are already making ties for them and have a pattern on hand; and even then we do not make any money on the transaction. Using new fabric for us is always a learning process in how a fabric will stretch or move. This process takes time and our time is expensive (American design and management not local Thai) - having a pattern on hand helps in all ways. We spend a lot of time looking at the fabric so we don't...
I do not travel anywhere frequently as I have two small children. We have a farm in Korat province but I never visit it.Yes, you make a good point about Burma I know that they have a silk weaving tradition. Also just a thought maybe some tailors come from a family trained from the days of the British?I have not been to Sakon Nakhon but it is in the North-East which is famous for silk weaving.The sad thing is that there are very few young weavers.If the demand goes up for...
I have imported wool. silk, linen and cotton fabric from Europe the 17.5% only applied to silk. Asean countries might have lower duties.I don't know much about Jim Thompson - but they have some beautiful fabrics and they sell quite a bit to interior designers.Northern Thailand is not typically a good source for silk the North-East is where most of the best weaving is typically done.Laos and Cambodia also have beautiful silk.
"In a juicy twist, it has been speculated that there is a monopoly of textile imports in Thailand by a particular aristocratic Thai family. Some Thai tailors have also been linked to this family. However, this is all conjecture." A sartorial myth... Textiles are imported daily by many different businesses. Silk is 17.5% for duty plus 7% VAT this is not typically used in suits so not an issue. Linen, cotton and wool is normally 5% duty plus 7% VAT. So making up an...
Canada does have high taxes compared to the US.In America the tax for ties is 7.2% and the DHL fee is about $6 so roughly the same as sales tax from a brick and mortar store.When using the post office the taxes are still technically due but often in America taxes are not collected and sometimes not collected in Canada.In Northern Europe taxes can be even higher.
"Hi David, could you please tell me whether there is a quality difference between inkjet printing, silk screening and hand printing. And since when the former is being used. Is it used by both English and Italian producers? And how can it be recognized? I heard you can tell it's inkjet printing when the back of the silk is white. Interested to hear your thoughts. Thanks in advance." C&A, Yes, English and Italian printers are using digital printers - I don't know for what...
Notreknip,Your comments are very good ones for any online clothing maker (not only us) when you say:"The relationship between the shade on my screen and the shade in real life is quite consistent."It is not currently possible for any clothing website to show up the same on everyone's monitor as even if photos are perfect (which is difficult with silk) there are many monitors out there and even if you are using the same monitor your settings could be different.And even with...