or Connect

Posts by sfnapolifan

"i'm wondering if i have to remove it... kinda like i did down here." = comedy gold. i wonder what he'd do with a one-button jacket.
Quote: Originally Posted by Wes Bourne Fixed. now that's attention to detail.
Quote: Originally Posted by comrade Re: Suzanne George. I have personal experience with her. She claims to have apprenticed at John Lobb, London. Turns out she did a quickie Internship there. Anyway my adventure with Ms George occurred about 12 years ago. She attempted to make me a pair of Derbies copied from the Lobb Bespoke Catalog. I am an extremely difficult fit, wearing 4E running shoes. My purpose for having her make shoes for me was...
my understanding is that a high armhole provides greater freedom of movement if and only if the sleeve has offsetting fullness. so, i would say that the sleeve needs to be fuller (at least near the shoulder). i don't see a problem with the lateral (forward to back) position of the armhole. as mentioned above, putting a big sleeve into a smaller hole is a non-trivial operation and may not be in your maker's bag of tricks. if not, and you want to still use him, try the...
as to whether new york is a better bet than sf, i found very little of interest at the usual suspects (barneys, bergdorf, saks) on a recent visit to nyc--quite possibly because i'm a difficult size. wilkes generally has one of the better selections of kiton i have personally seen--their buyers have very good taste and it is unfortunate that they were recently purchased by mitchells/richards, which will apparently be making a lot more room for zegna going forward--not...
how are highways 97 and 26 in january? any more treacherous than the i-5? edit: is the wait list still three years?
Quote: Originally Posted by Orgetorix Big difference here. It's not like nobody knew that the high-end makers of GY-welted shoes use a glued feather until the folks on the french forum decided to cut some up. And it's not like EG or G&G are going around pretending their shoes are hand-welted to a hand-carved feather, the way Kiton sold itself as a hand-sewn brand. It's general knowledge in the English and American shoe industries that everyone glues...
Quote: Originally Posted by sully I have been reading the thread over on AAAC another respected forum that is discussing a similar theme to this one and I cannot believe some of the statements being made and taken as gospel because of one bespoke boot/shoemakers opinion of the rights and wrongs of manufacturing shoes.I suspect the understanding of european /british bespoke and RTW is not as comprehensive as it may seem to a casual observer.We...
Quote: Originally Posted by DWFII Pardon me, for my sarcasm...I guess I'm getting tired of butting my head up against a brick wall...or a number of them. I should not have taken it out on you. No offense taken on my end. It seems to me that gemming could be considered superior to a cut-and-turned holdfast--once the holdfast is expired, the shoe is done. Assuming a decent insole, gemming could probably be done over and over again. Given your...
Quote: Originally Posted by voxsartoria My dream is to have a shoe made entirely from gemming. - B you'd save on glue that way.