or Connect

Posts by Jerry52

For me, it's the lace-up leather dress shoe with the leather or leather-rubber combo heel. Four or five pair of eyelets and I prefer the derby/ blucher type. Also enjoy the European rtw shoes the most, although I believe Alden and Allen-Edmonds are also very good shoes. Not extremely pointy designs, I probably like the plain toe, captoe and split toe style the most. I've found that, at least among the shoes I've owned, the casual rubber-soled "walking shoes" are more...
Thanks Shikar, the Pediwear link worked, and it's a nice looking shoe, except that the styling is just almost identical to my Alden 757 Orthopedic, which is still in pretty fair shape. No point having two virtually-identically-styled shoes in regular rotation, IMO. Here's a "plain toe" style I'd prefer, except that it has only three eyelets. The only "plain toe" I spotted with five eyelets was a much lower-priced shoe, so presumably not as well...
Thanks Shikar for the suggestion. The link connected but the photo didn't come up. I'll have to try again. How does Sargent generally rate for comfort and construction among British shoes? Are they similar in quality to Tricker, Edward Green or Crockett & Jones? Jerry
Hi, I've posted this elsewhere on the forum but thought I'd try it here too... I guess I'm just "kicking tires" for the moment, but if you have a shoe meeting most of the following, I could be interested...maybe... 12-C (medium width) Great brand- prefer Spanish, Italian or British Basically conservative styling with roomy toe box Supportive/ well-built/ repairable Comfortable Excellent grade of leather Leather or leather-rubber combo sole Prefer...
Being a shoe fanatic, I'm curious about your answers, for the best leather dress shoe on the planet, regardless of cost- and the best for $500... I've never seen them in person, but I figure some of you might pick Vass as best of the best, but there may be other much more "rare" finds I've never heard of. Probably there'll be several nominees for best shoe at $500... Jerry
Quote: Originally Posted by shoe no problem at all, hope you find the shoe you want, good luck. the thing is, one day you may get to the point where you will spend a thousand dollars on a shoe without even blinking. I'd like to say "you're crazy" but of course, I'M the guy who's crazy ABOUT SHOES! so... "never say never!" Seriously, there's a part of me that feels "guilty" if I spend too much on anything frivolous. I mean, shoes...
Hi Shoe, Thanks for your reply, and I've heard a lot of good about Santoni (or at least some of them) but that is still beyond my budget. I definitely need to stay South of $400. Appreciate the offer though! Jerry
Hi, I guess I'm just "kicking tires" for the moment, but if you have a shoe opportunity meeting most of the following, I could be interested... 12-C (medium width) Great brand- prefer Spanish, Italian or British Basically conservative styling with roomy toe box Supportive/ well-built/ repairable Comfortable Excellent grade of leather Leather or leather-rubber combo sole Prefer blucher/derby style (flaps evenly parallel over tongue) Minimum four maximum five...
I haven't been to St. Louis in years and don't know the city well, but unless it's changed, the area around LaClede's Landing downtown is a mecca for tourists. You can ride inside the Gateway Arch, and the views of the area bridges are good from there. Quite a few restaurants nearby I believe. I think the Galleria shopping mall downtown is pretty good, but I've never been there. In case public transit turns you on, there is a light rail system in St. Louis... Jerry
Thanks Roger and Dopey for the feedback on the eyelet grommets. As Roger says, maybe they're not really essential, but knowing they are there gives me some peace of mind... Jerry