or Connect

Posts by makewayhomer

congrats on that scoreI have AE in "black cherry" shell (which was the marketed term they used in their catalogs) - which to my eye is like #6 - and I have Hanover in a nearly identical color. Was yours marked #4 in some way, or is that just what your eyes are telling you ?the recent #4 from Alden I saw was much more RED than the black cherry I have, which has more burgundy overtones.my vintage shoes next to my current C&J burgundy shell PTBvintage black cherry vs vintage...
right, I agree with your thinkingI mean, my answer has basically been the same for years now:if you are trying to decide between a rare color shell or #8, get the rare color. burgundy shell is always going to be much easier to find down the road, and also can be bought a ton cheaper if you are ok with vintage Florsheim/Hanover, which were probably better made than Alden today.for anyone on a budget or picking and choosing between models, buying a #8 LWB or PTB from Alden...
I think they were one off's of some kind, I purchased them on B/S here The color is the same as is used on the brown shell Strands (and the C&J for RL line) I haven't seen the capuccino/truffle color in person, but here is a pic I found on AAAC. his pictures look a shade dark for some reason, but it's ok for color comparison anyways, the point is - I think anything in this color family works better with khaki/tan pants than burgundy/# 8 shell From left to right Alden...
if you wear khaki / tan / lighter colored pants a lot, cigar or ravello will be more versatile than #8. those brown shell shades look much better w/ khaki than #8 does imo, where the contrast can just be too jarring. the shoes I wear the most with khakis are my cognac shell loafers from AE, the nearest Alden equivalent is something like a ravello or cigar LHS of course, I prefer #8 with denim
Leathersoul Ultimate Indy Picked these up on a lark, trying to decide if I like the Indy aesthetic and the commando sole. still not sure if it's for me
I'll put the over/under at...$695
the glitch last year produced prices as low as $260 to $285 (I got pairs for both prices)I'm 99% sure that was an eff up on their part, so would not expect anything like that again. if we see prices down to the $400 - $450 range that will be very good imo
when there are 8 inches of snow on the ground, and ankle high slush puddles...you're basically a fool to be walking around in anything but true winter waterproof/insulated boots. as has been said many times, any smooth sole like the classic Indy sole is useless on snow/ice. might as well be leather.that said, there are only a handful of those days a year. last winter there was one where I actually needed my Bean boots. but you'll need to be prepared with something you're...
the description has always said "brown" and it's always been wrong I bought them nearly 2 years ago. the color is pretty similar to AE burgundy shell, not the Alden version of #8. it's certainly not the brown on the Lindrick / Marlow line.the wonders of gmail. conversation from January 2011:Me to C&J:"Hello,I am interested in the Peal & Co.® Cordovan Boot you have made for Brooks Brothers. But, I am unclear on what color this boot is. Is it Dark Brown or Burgundy?This is...
no - vintage used shell, even in great condition, normally won't sell at auction for more than $150 or so. I've bought and sold many pairs in great shape, always between $90 - $180 or so. I'm wearing a pair of Hanover shell PTB's in 9D in awesome shape, original everything, probably worn less than 20x total. I guarantee if I put them up in a 7 day auction they would sell for less than $200, probably within $30 of $140 either way. I paid $110.(actually, you can see them...