or Connect

Posts by CBrown85

Quote: Originally Posted by Rambo CB - WATCH THE WIRE!!!!! ITS THE BEST SHOW EVER!!!!! JUST WATCH IT ALREADY!!!!! For some reason I found this surprising. Can't figure out exactly why at the moment. Just out of curiosity, what did the wife think of season 4? Has she ever spent time working in inner city/ghetto schools? Pretty sure Battlestar Galactica and Saved By The Bell are the best shows ever. Pretty sure.
Quote: Originally Posted by Eason So this is all likely true. However it doesn't do much to just say "all these options are bad" without giving any solutions to the problem of how to have students read. While Kohn does point out some solutions in this article, he's notorious for identifying problems without identifying any specific solutions. I don't think there's huge problem with that, though, so long as people collaborate and try new...
Sorry for the spamming, just wanted to stir things up a bit here in the pedagogy realm: I suggest reading the entire article although here's a snippet. (and i think parallels can be drawn with physical activity) http://www.alfiekohn.org/teaching/nonreaders.htm Quote: 1. Quantify their reading assignments. Nothing contributes to a student’s interest in (and proficiency at) reading more than the opportunity to read books that he or she has chosen. But it’s...
Quote: Originally Posted by Teger this is a really interesting thread. does anyone have any experience teaching college level? I'm entering an MA/PHD program next year and will be teaching by my second semester, and I'm having some definite anxiety about the experience. No experience teaching college level, but I've been around a lot of high-level seniors. Fire me a PM and I'll see if I can scrape a few web resources for you to use/think about...
Quote: Originally Posted by KenRose Love the Wire and especially season 4. What I think needs to be taken out of that season is that each kid is an individual. It would be easy for someone to get a general (and most likely bad) opinion of a kid like Namond, but when you actually talk to the kids and get to know them you see that they are quite unlike how they present themselves. I'm no superstar but I do take pride on the fact that kids come and talk...
Quote: Originally Posted by KenRose no, just the PE dept. Up here in Alberta they split the PE department head and Athletic Director duties. To do a good job at both you need two people. Sometimes three.
Quote: Originally Posted by Rugger I love when teachers demand they are worth more because they have taken graduate classes Interested to hear your thoughts on this, do you mind expanding a bit?
Quote: Originally Posted by iammatt Well, she is a little extreme, but I work a lot in the education field (charity side) and I see a lot of bad shit. Worse, my wife spends her life telling teachers how to do better for kids, and meets far more resistance than you could imagine. I am sure your wife is friends with teachers who share her values. I am friends with money managers who share mine. There are many, many others who do not. ...
Quote: Originally Posted by iammatt That sounds good. I think, obviously, that there are levels of understanding of any of these subjects. She spent 5 years in grad school learning them, so she has a different understanding than a teacher would, or would even need. Still, what kills her is that there isn't even the first understanding of this stuff in CA schools, so there is no ability to communicate, and since it isn't part of the teachers' knowledge...