or Connect

Posts by CBrown85

I read his book on deschooling. It froths at the mouth with anger at system he taught in but doesn't offer any solid or tangible solutions. In fact, he was barely able to articulate his main thesis. There are much better ''anti-school'' people out there.
Quote: Originally Posted by Mr. Moo For peat's sake! i lol'd
Thought it was a dig at public school. Someone's been reading his John Taylor Gatto.
Quote: Originally Posted by JustinW I need to get better at this. Half my Hist and US Govt. classes now have classroom laptops with Internet access, but so far we are just using the Interwebz to supplement textbooks and do practice exams. I think we could do a lot more with them in Economics, but that class doesn't have laptops. If you're looking for someone to bounce ideas with and collab fire me a pm. Always like exchanging ideas.
In BC there are two pushes. One is "why give grades, do they really encourage success?" and the other is "here are the school rankings, send your kids and fund the best ones". Anyway, I think the internet is a double-edged sword. I see a few schools really embracing social medias like twitter in order to reach out to their students. There's a lot of research saying that kids are getting better at managing their 'digital tattoo' as well. It's the whole "digital native"...
Quote: Originally Posted by rjakapeanut i'm on the path to law school so i'll likely never get the opportunity to teach middle school history or anything awesome like that i still kind of fanticize about being a teacher. what are the basic requirements to get a job as a middle school teacher, for example? what would your major be in college, what other postgrad stuff is required if any, and what other certifications one must acquire? just...
Shifting gears, how has the web changed your teaching in the last few years or if you're a new teacher, how do you incorporate the internet into your classroom? I'm presenting at a district Pro-D day on friday about the uses of Web 2.0 and 3.0 in the classroom (super nervous) and am interested in everyone's experiences.
Quote: Originally Posted by dah328 Please tell me you don't teach math. Or logic. Thanks for your productive contribution.
Quote: Originally Posted by FLMountainMan That's pretty much teachers in a nutshell. Some of the hardest partiers I've ever met. So true. We went pretty hard in teachers college, but I didn't expect to be outdone by a bunch of 30 year olds on a friday night.
Quote: Originally Posted by Rugger You mean the top 25% who pay over 80% of the taxes? Riiiight. Because they sure tax the shit out of the bottom 50% who pay less than 4% of taxes... I think that serves the point on how much wealth is spread over such a small area at and near the top. If there was a larger % of people with a greater income, wouldn't that ease the tax burden of the top?