or Connect

Posts by CBrown85

Quote: Originally Posted by KenRose no, just the PE dept. Up here in Alberta they split the PE department head and Athletic Director duties. To do a good job at both you need two people. Sometimes three.
Quote: Originally Posted by Rugger I love when teachers demand they are worth more because they have taken graduate classes Interested to hear your thoughts on this, do you mind expanding a bit?
Quote: Originally Posted by iammatt Well, she is a little extreme, but I work a lot in the education field (charity side) and I see a lot of bad shit. Worse, my wife spends her life telling teachers how to do better for kids, and meets far more resistance than you could imagine. I am sure your wife is friends with teachers who share her values. I am friends with money managers who share mine. There are many, many others who do not. ...
Quote: Originally Posted by iammatt That sounds good. I think, obviously, that there are levels of understanding of any of these subjects. She spent 5 years in grad school learning them, so she has a different understanding than a teacher would, or would even need. Still, what kills her is that there isn't even the first understanding of this stuff in CA schools, so there is no ability to communicate, and since it isn't part of the teachers' knowledge...
Quote: Originally Posted by iammatt I don't know anything about Canadian schools and teachers, and I don't think that she does either, but her feeling is that American teachers in public schools, at least those in California, know absolutely nothing about education at all, and that administrators aren't much better, for the most part. The teachers tend to know something about teaching, about following a lesson plan, but since they are clueless as to...
Quote: Originally Posted by iammatt She says that for "gifted" kids there is generally no push to do more, so they don't get everything out of school that the might. For learning disabled kids one of two things happens. On the good side, since anxiety issues are often connected to learning disabilities, the fact that they are let to go at their own speed, in their own "folder" means that they are not subject to a lot of teasing from the other kids. On...
Quote: Originally Posted by iammatt My wife, who doesn't teach in classrooms but works with schools on curriculum and families on assessment has had pretty awful experiences with, and things to say about Montessori schools for anything other than normally able kids. What are her major criticisms?
With all the politics and moaning about bad teachers, I still feel like we're going through a revolution and maybe even the first stages of a renaissance in educational philosophy, pedagogy and technology.
I read his book on deschooling. It froths at the mouth with anger at system he taught in but doesn't offer any solid or tangible solutions. In fact, he was barely able to articulate his main thesis. There are much better ''anti-school'' people out there.