or Connect

Posts by CBrown85

Yeah. They seem good at that.
I don't think masters' programs are what they were 40 years ago... many seem like cash-grabs for universities.
Roden Gray, Neighbourhood
Yeah that actually sounds really great. I'm restricted to teaching "English" or "Social Studies" because that's all the public schools really offer but I've made myself a bit of a job creating and running the Information Technology program, which for high school kids is very, very basic. I have very little experience with the kinds of kids you're describing- the ones who actually want to be in school. I'm sure I'd really enjoy that. I'm kind of tired fighting the...
Well, this just cost me some money.
Sorry, but can this be translated for the uninitiated? I'm assuming that what you're all talking about is teaching at elite private schools in the richest areas of Korea to parents obsessed with what they perceive to be "the best."I'm sure this is great if you're really in it for the money, but it doesn't really sound like you would be if you got into the teaching thing (as you say somewhere else on here).I dunno, I teach middle class kids in a neighbourhood that is mostly...
I started teaching for the money and the power but stayed for the short commute.
To chime in; I know a few people who have dropped everything and taught english in China or Korea and haven't regretted a moment of it. Mind you, they did this straight out of school with no partners, children, or mortgages so it was much easier. I took a different route and fought hard for a teaching job closer to home and am just now getting to a place where I can say I'm enjoying myself. Teaching, if you truly want to do it well, is an incredibly demanding career that...
Not taking a car loan was probably one of the best decisions we've ever made. The car I had previously, a gifted 1991 Honda Accord, died suddenly while in the Massey Tunnel in Richmond on a Friday rush hour. Anyone familiar with the Vancouver area will realise how horrible that would be. I believe I was given $100 to scrap it... so at one time my wardrobe was considerably more valuable than my car. Wasn't a bad car though.
I teach high school and while nobody wears full suits, many of the male staff have begun to transition back into nicer stuff. I'm not sure full suits at school would even be desirable; it's not a business and does not require that level of formality. Although trousers, not jeans, and sport coats wouldn't be terrible. To echo a few of the recent posts from others, people have become used to cheap clothing.