or Connect

Posts by dizzy

That's actually the recipe that I used lol. I'm going to chalk this one up to not using the right pan. Grill marks look nice but don't really do much in the way of texture.
Tried to sous vide for the first time last night. Made two ribeyes that way, and two more in a pan. The pan seared ones were much better. I think my mistake was seasoning the steaks before putting them in the bag, and finishing them in a cast iron pan that has raised grill marks. Didn't get as good a sear as the other two in the flat pan. Anyone got any tips?
How hard would it be to add a piece of leather to the back of a coat collar? Not sure what the technical term for it is.
Wow, this just made The Grey so much sadder. If anyone hasn't seen that yet I'd recommend checking it out. Way better/different than I expected it to be.
In my experience it is. Almost all of the wealth is "new money" and their behavior is typical of people who suddenly find themselves with more money than they know what to do with (see professional athletes). There is a huge demand for branded goods as it gives them an opportunity to flaunt how rich they are. I really loved my time in Shanghai, but it could be jarring to see these insane mega malls filled with luxury designer stores just minutes away from some of the worst...
I agree that Murakami's stories are usually disappointing in that they leave a lot of questions unanswered. I think he does this purposefully to add further abstraction to the surreal worlds he creates. It isn't all that gratifying, but it feels intriguing in a Twin Peaks sort of way. You bring up a good point about all three being translations. That was something I hadn't even considered, or really noticed while reading.
Lol yes, A Hundred Years of Solitude. I guess his writing style just makes it seem like a thousand to me. I have similar pace issues with Murakami, although I'm generally more intrigued by his stories. It's funny because what turned me around on the Calvino novel was its suggestion of reading solely for the act of reading. I can't seem to do that with GGM, but I don't regret reading his work. I also have Brave New World waiting in the wings.The story is fine, but the...
Currently halfway through both A Thousand Years of Solitude and If On A Winter's Night A Traveler. I haven't really enjoyed the first so far. His writing just feels so monotone. It's comfortable I guess, but not very interesting. Don't really feel compelled to finish it. I felt the same way about Love In the Time of Cholera, but at least that novel had something resembling a plot. If On A Winter's Night A Traveler was frustrating at first, but I've started to get into it.
With the exception of Whiplash, I actually watched those four movies almost back to back not too long ago. I'd suggest you watch Mr. Nobody if haven't already.Coherence was good, but I thought Triangle handled the different timelines/realities in a much more interesting way.I also had a hard time understanding Synecdoche. Reading other people's analyses helped somewhat, although it felt like many missed the mark. I'm sure it would make perfect sense while tripping on acid...
Some of my favs from the China: Through the Looking Glass Exhibit