or Connect

Posts by prinseugen

Quote: Quote: (A Harris @ 17 Oct. 2004, 01:26) Koji is a very talented pianist. Koji, are you still playing for Mikhail Baryshnikov? Yes; strangely, he still deems it worthy enough to still work with me despite my loafer fetish, go figure. On a side note, I was stuck in the Trenton train station (an exceedingly depressing place, especially at midnight on a sat. night) during the business rush hour and saw five gentlemen lined up like...
Quote: Quote: (prinseugen @ 12 Oct. 2004, 09:38) Quote: Originally Posted by Thracozaag,11 Oct. 2004, 7:06 I can honestly thank the stars that I'm in a field where I don't have to worry about these ridiculous restrictions regarding loafers with suits. My one pair of Lobb shoes is a loafer. koji Ridiculous restrictions? There is nothing ridiculous about propriety. And you are fortunate indeed to work in a field that...
Quote: Quote: (prinseugen @ 12 Oct. 2004, 6:00) I consider that a simple rule like no loafers with a suit, and I will make that a rather dark, formal suit, out of respect for your well-considered comments, is not in my view anachronistic, it is merely proper, and appropriate, particularly if the fellow doing the wearing is an old guard traditionalist, who deals with others unamused by "fashion" or trends. My argument all along has been,...
Quote: I guess I think there is a fine line between dressing well in a classic manner and dressing in an anachronistic manner. Personally I have many classic elements to my manner of dress (choice of suitings, shoes), but also incorporate quite a few modern ones (shirt/tie color) and some stylistic elements that may have been considered iconoclastic some time ago (loafers with a suit) may be considered at least appropriate and perhaps mainstream. Obviously...
My great-grandfather's evening studs and links, which he had made by Tiffany, in 1922 (platinum disks with a pearl set at the center of each). Jack
Quote: I would agree with some of this, I think generally the average person and mainstream media perpetuate poor dress, but things do change as well, and I think some arbitrary "rules of dress" that may have been prevalent in the past don't necessarily have to be obeyed for someone to be well-dressed. If I saw someone wearing a dark charcoal suit with a french blue shirt and coordinating tie and cufflinks, with beautiful brown/black dress loafers, I would...
Quote: I would venture a guess that 90% of businesspeople (and that number is probably closer to 98% west of the Mississippi) wouldn't cast a second glance at someone wearing dress loafers with a suit. I choose not to wear them during the daytime because of preference, but even mainstream national media is saying this practice is OK. Mainstream national media doesn't know s--- from shinola, and neither do 98% of the businessmen west of the...
Quote: I can honestly thank the stars that I'm in a field where I don't have to worry about these ridiculous restrictions regarding loafers with suits. My one pair of Lobb shoes is a loafer. koji Ridiculous restrictions? There is nothing ridiculous about propriety. And you are fortunate indeed to work in a field that allows you to freely express your preferences. Jack
Quote: Quote: (prinseugen @ 11 Oct. 2004, 09:39) Quote: Originally Posted by Horace,11 Oct. 2004, 03:12 Quote: Originally Posted by prinseugen,10 Oct. 2004, 8:01 Quote: Originally Posted by AJL,10 Oct. 2004, 5:20 Personally, I do not care too much for loafers to begin with, and even less those with tassels. Tassel loafers with a suit is a combination that just plain bums me out. It reeks to me...
Quote: Jack -- Are you referring to "set-in" collar stays? I believe someone else on the board got these when they didn't ask for them, but you can specify this on the order form and maybe make an extra note in the comments section. I am not, JG: I am describing instead the two fabric stiffeners that Ricky uses to give body to the collar tips. These triangular inserts may be found between the interlining and the back of the collar fabric. They are...