or Connect

Posts by pejsek

Yikes. I never had any idea about those prices until I went to the web site. I passed up a H&H Norfolk jacket at the Junior League store about a month ago because I thought it wasn't worth $25. I would have guessed the retail price would have been, say, $350 but it's 4-5 times that. I can't imagine they sell much of anything of that quality at those prices. Maybe they should just stick to guns; never heard a bad word about those.
I just find the T&A and Hermes combination bewildering on so many levels. Of course it's strange politically (which I admire in a certain way), but they're really just wrong together. The T&A collars are too assertive for the Hermes tie (which is on the thinner side and lacks body). Hermes requires soft tailoring with a minimum of structure; T&A would be right at home with Huntsman. But it's Kerry's uniform and the only reason anyone would choose such a combination is...
Wow. Thanks for the quick reply. I'm sure you're right. Any idea how Finnamore fits into the constellation of Neapolitan shirt-makers?
That "half-tuck" is certainly the stuff of nightmares.
I saw this shirt today at a thrift store with all of the hallmarks of the Neapolitan style--extra thick MOP buttons with the distinctive crow's foot stitch, hand-sewn buttonholes, sleeves attached by hand, a bit of showy handwork on the shoulder yoke, and small triangular side-gussets also with hand stitching. No label, but there was a size marker so I'm sure it's not bespoke. The only clue was a sort of embossed 'F' on the side gussets, much like the 'B' or 'LB' you would...
That's a beautiful suit. Congratulations. The lapel and buttonhole are exceedingly well done, as good as anything I've seen. One quibble (and it is just that): Why is it so difficult to emulate the Savile Row style of finishing the sleeve buttons? As a matter of personal taste I would say yours are too high and spaced too far apart; they are also rather obviously working. The SR tailors seem capable of an elegant unostentatious placement that just blends in perfectly with...
I recently stumbled on a pair of NOS Polo shoes. They are a beautiful chestnut suede wingtip with a nice rounded toe and a commando sole. They were made in England and the logo is just the word Polo in a rectangle (rather than the polo player). I think I recall this logo from the 1970's. The quality seems slightly higher than the shoes I've seen with the polo player/benchmade in England stamp. (And of course worlds apart from those unfortunate Polo shoes now being made in...
Sounds like some jackets made by a tailor in Madrid. Were there any dates on the labels? How old do you think they might have been?
I just wonder where the shirt race ends. Maybe this is it. I remember well--and it wasn't that long ago--the time when rtw T&A shirts pushing $200 were seen as incredibly expensive. Charvet was marginally more expensive, but Borrelli just stood head and shoulders above the rest in terms of cost at $350 or so. Unimaginable, really. I'll never forget the shock of seeing the price on a Fray shirt for the first time (a bit over $500 IIRC). I felt sorry for Borrelli, now the...
The Goodwill store at Fillmore and Geary has an interesting collection of Henry Maxwell shoes. There are probably about 10-12 pairs, all between $18-$24. Unfortunately, they are on the small side, probably 7.5 or 8. But they are from the glory days of Dover and New Bond Streets and include the custom shoe trees. I'm sure they would clean up nicely. There are some nice slip-ons and brogues in brown and black. My favorite was a dark brown cap-toe w/ medallion. I hate to see...