or Connect

Posts by pejsek

Quote: Originally Posted by dv3 I find the David Reeves comparison very striking. Here are two Reeves suits I found through google image; although, I believe both were originally posted on AAAC. While I see where you're coming from, I have to disagree. Whatever else you think of it, the Nutter suit is pure Savile Row. Look at those shoulders and chest. There is a sort of mod thing going on, but there are also distinct echos of the thirties...
Quote: Originally Posted by voxsartoria Have you run into anythng from Nutter? Note the 1988 pic above of Jay McInerney being fitted at Nutters. - B Yes, I have. I have a Blazer from Nutters around here somewhere as well as a jacket in a brown herringbone tweed. I will long rue passing up a Tommy Nutter sb overcoat, cashmere w/ deep vent. It fit perfectly, but the thrift store wanted fifty bucks for it--which I considered outrageous. I...
Funny, no mention of Sexton there.
Quote: Originally Posted by I. Gentantithesis Reference: Pinned: HOF: Labels, Heels, Nails etc. page 12, post 172, or don't. Rebel222's example appears a bit coarse for vintage BB EG Peal. The waist is too wide, the heel is straight rather than concave, PEAL is in bold block lettering rather than a more understated serifed font, there is no line of convex pindot indentions in front of the heel. The soles extend beyond the upper more than a typical EG,...
Nice shoes. Could very well be EG and if you say EG has confirmed this I will believe you. I had no idea we were talking about shoes of such vintage--the all-leather heels with double nails on the outside rear and Peal stamped into the sole make me think these must be at least forty years old. There have been many posts about Peal over the years, but I can't recall any mention of this numbering. The early Peal shoes are shrouded in mystery; there's even been suggestion...
Quote: Originally Posted by rebel222 I know for a fact that this is true... Confirmed w/ EG. Also, these are likely to be dated before EG used the current lasting numbers. If pics bear you out I will cheerfully admit I'm wrong. But how do you feel so secure vouching for shoes you've only read about?
Quote: Originally Posted by RSS Also a bit of experience at Hogg & Johnstone. Hogg, Sons, & J.B. Johnstone were very fine tailors. (They're a bit of a namesake for me too, though I won't let that cloud my judgment.) Too bad they're gone. I have a few secondhand suits from them, including one of my all-time favorites--a lightweight grey windowpane.
Hate to break into your conversation here, guys, but these shoes sound unlikely to be EG. EG has, of course, made shoes for BB (both Peal and English lines). However, I've never seen EG use anything other than a full leather lining and none of the numbers you give seem anything like EG last numbers. The EG shoes would also have all info written by hand rather than stamped. If the soles are original they would be channeled. Pics would answer all...
Obviously it may depend somewhat on the initials, but, yes, in the hands of a great cobbler this can be nice. Jun Kuwana is surely the master of this genre. Cleverley, F&S, and Corthay, I think, have all made shoes for him with such a medallion. I also recall a pair in there with a scorpion. Check out his site. I'd be careful with this, though. You need a really facile hand with the punching and the design should be just so--skills not found everywhere. In the hands of...
I'm sorry I didn't get to see the picture. Based on the description, though, I'd say the shoe seems tailor-made to raise the collective ire of sf acolytes. But that's just a handful of guys--only a handful of whom know anything about anything. Please consider reposting the picture. Sounds like an interesting shoe; it always cheers my heart when s.one asks a true-bespoke-artisan to do s.thing with a little more historical resonance. Even on the page or screen, "sleek"...