or Connect

Posts by pejsek

My kids have a uniform policy at school--blue non-denim pants and white or dark blue shirts with collars. Pretty restrictive. Not sure if this is always seen as good parenting, but I mostly let the clothes get pretty ratty and frayed and then dress them up with, say, a really nice camel coat or bright colored shetland sweaters. On the rare free days there is a lot of latitude (usually frittered away). My 12 yo wears mostly Gap stuff, though occasionally he'll put on some...
Beware! No matter how comforting the thought, do not fall into the arms of dogma. It all depends on the coat and the situation. Just because you have a throat latch, for example, doesn't mean you have to go for the kill every time. I have a Jil Sander Donegal tweed coat that is a true 3/2 button and I wear it as such. If it's really cold I'll add a scarf but I won't button it to the top or bottom. Remember too that the stylish man will always wear things his way. Making a...
Quote: Originally Posted by Manton I hope this explains why in exhaustive detail. Anyone who asks this question again is going to get a sternly worded letter. Ask twice, and you might get hit on the knuckles with a ruler. http://asuitablewardrobe.dynend.com/...-vents-to.html Thank you. This makes my day. If we could get it pinned the whole world might run faster.
Quote: Originally Posted by voxsartoria The guys still wear them naturally, don't you think? And I'm sure that many of them fought in WWII or even WWI. The line of top hats hung up is particularly nice. I mentioned in your gingham thread that we went to a white tie thing last winter where it definitely had a dying embers feel. I was by far the youngest guy there and I'm 47. I agree that the passing of it is sad. - B Yes, like a...
Quote: Originally Posted by voxsartoria I wore my boater a few times during the summer... - B I think the boater looks great. In the picture at least you betray no doubt or self-consciousness and I think it works. I'm curious, though, Did you pay the other peds to set you off right? Keep on keeping it real! The derby certainly could work, but I don't think you need it. After several years of wearing hats regularly (my wife says I'm...
Quote: Originally Posted by LabelKing I was on Haight St. last night, in Alembic. I wore tartan trousers. You should have come on down to the Lower Haight. We embrace both the tartan and crack dealers, but have less patience for homeless goth youths and their little dogs.
I'm not one to look back too wistfully, but these pictures fill me with something like a true sense of loss. How did we fall so far so fast? It's one thing to see individuals. Does anyone imagine that we could assemble a group like this anywhere in the US anymore? I mean, the Austro-Hungarians might give it a run. But US? And it's not like 1961 was all that long ago.
Quote: Originally Posted by voxsartoria Then they return to their long slumber. - B Are there ever any second acts? Or do the hats, once awakened, just go out in a blaze of glory? On a side note, I salute your embrace of the boater. It's a bold move and I imagine the dividends (while not apparent to the uninitiated) may be enormous. Anyway, not to be didactic or anything, but the black gingham shirt just reinforces the value I...
Sorry to stoop to cliche, but sometimes the road is indeed long and winding. I've had a black gingham shirt tucked away in my closet for a good long time. I found it years ago in a thrift shop off the Kings Road. Made by the late great (though, sadly, titularly still-breathing) Hawes & Curtis, it has a moderately spread collar and double cuffs. At the time I must have been a bit disappointed that it wasn't some other color and I really haven't given it much wear. I love...
Quote: Originally Posted by Nataku I'm very envious of those YSL Rive Gauche wingtips! Yeah, they look really great. What a medallion. A bit of a C&J vibe, but it's hard to know without knowing more.