or Connect

Posts by pejsek

It's fully possible to like Burgundy without liking Leroy wines. Heck, you could even like Burgundy without liking DRC. The only way you will know if you like Burgundy is by drinking a bunch of different kinds. Everyone has a house style, but one of the great things about Burgundy is that in addition to its general loveliness you can really actually taste the various appelations and vineyards. Too heavy a hand obviously obscures this.
Burgundy really isn't the minefield it once was. With the widespread adoption of modern equipment, vigilance about chapitalization, and the end of the most egregious negociant frauds, buying Burgundy is no longer akin to sailing on the money-reward scale. Most of the generic Bourgogne Rouge out there is genuinely good and does actually give a true sense of how magical Burgundy can be. My advice to budding Burgundy drinkers is always the same. Buy Matt Kramer's book on...
Quote: Originally Posted by Working Stiff I have a Blades suit. Care to share the details? You've got an audience of at least three.
Doing some research on Blades (the fringe tailoring concern that is perhaps the secret link to everything), I ran across this interesting article from Cutter & Tailor in 1971. The discussion between Tommy Nutter and Eric Joy (of Blades) really is worth a glance: http://www.cutterandtailor.com/forum...?showtopic=519
Finally after a long while some real progress on the Anglomania front. Ebay flippers were on guard, but somehow I managed to outsmart them: immaculate Vivienne Westwood Red Label women's suit in teal blue Harris tweed with an amazing curved black velvet collar; T&A heavy flannel tartan robe (could have used that during the cold snap last week). When I got home I looked up the suit in the Vivienne Westwood monograph and it turns out it's from the 1990 Portrait collection,...
Quote: Originally Posted by 83glt BTW, if those ladies golf shoes are a size 7, would you proxy for me? I'm trying to get my wife into the game... Well, that was another thing. They looked to be on the larger side, maybe s.thing like a 9.5. Really great looking, though. Nice score on the cassettes. I draw a line for myself at obsolete audio technology, probably because I actually find the thought of running, say, a reel to reel deck...
Too much misogyny (or shall we just be generous and go ahead and call it misanthropy?) here for me. But just a brief point of contention: most food is not inherently boring (though I might make an exception for cassava). Food becomes boring either because the conception is aesthetically flawed or the execution is inept. Many chocolate recipes do indeed turn out the chocolate sugar bombs you decry, but it doesn't have to be that way. While I'm not the biggest fan of...
Don't know about Fabio Toma, but the floral looks like it could be a Duchamp.
Passed on a superb pair of bespoke ladies golf shoes from Henry Maxwell--white suede with a navy wing cap, a product of the Dover St years; as usual the punching was completely assured and perfectly executed. I don't think anyone (possibly excepting Koji Suzuki) does brogueing on this level anymore. Anyway, I have too many bespoke shoes I can't wear and I don't know any women who golf who would be into this kind of thing. A gift of two-toned vintage golf shoes could be so...
Quote: Originally Posted by why Less flour and only yolks. Use cake flour and don't overmix. I understand the need to keep the flour at a minimum. But why would you use cake flour? And don't you need the albumen from the egg whites to get the desired texture? Baking is so much more about chemistry than other types of cooking. I can't recall a brownie recipe that called for yolks only. Many recipes call for beating the eggs separately...