or Connect

Posts by in fits of print

I would never wear French cuffs without a jacket, or with jeans or chinos, but have worn them in the evening with a velvet jacket and tie and grey wool trousers. Just now I was debating doing the same thing but with a navy blazer, in the afternoon, and dialed down to silk knots, so I googled "french cuffs without a suit" seeking input and this thread came up. It's a tough call, but I'm inclining against it, if for no other reason than so I won't be self-conscious about it...
23, New York. Have not owned a pair since I was a sophomore, and plan on keeping it that way. When I go to the beach I wear boat shoes.
Quote: Originally Posted by MBreinin I had a cursed ring. It was actually my Grandmother's, so it was a heirloom. Diamond went into fiance' #1's ring. End badly. Diamond went back into antique ring, ring was restored and put on wife #1's finger. Marriage ended badly. Ring sold on E-Bay to remove curse. I hope this story ends with you happily married using a different ring, because otherwise the moral here sounds a lot like "don't sell your...
Quote: Originally Posted by archetypal_yuppie ^ This isn't personal.... Buying a jacket on sale is great. Wanting a jacket and then waiting 'til it goes on sale is an entirely different matter. At no point did I imply that anyone here was 'typical,' including myself. As far as my posts/time, do you think I'm posting against my will? Of course not. Do you think I'm not thrifting, even though I want to? Of course not. What I prefer to do with...
Quote: Originally Posted by archetypal_yuppie I'd guess that the majority of people are not of the thrifter variety, and thus not being a thrifter does not necessarily make one a snob. I don't think a distaste for used items or wasting hours that I consider more productively spent on other things than finding bargains is snobby either. Used is a potential can of worms I prefer to avoid (hygene? wear and tear?), and I choose to use my time on other...
Quote: Originally Posted by aleeboy I would disagree with this. Boat shoes look good in shorts only. Only true with a break! If you're willing to show some ankle, you can wear boat shoes with pants. Personally I find most things labeled "driving shoes" to be on the ugly side (techy/nubby soles that climb up your heels), but some of them just look like loafers. In which case you might as well get loafers instead.
Quote: Originally Posted by archetypal_yuppie If you have to wear suits to work, $225/month gets you nowhere unless you have infinity hours to blow going through leftover crap at sales, or are OK with buying low quality. No thanks. It might satisfy a yearly suit purchase, but what about shoes, socks, shirts, undershirts/wear, ties, overcoat, belt/links? And oh yeah, everything else you wear on weekends/athletic/nighttime? Forget building up a...
Quote: Originally Posted by SkinnyGoomba Thats exactly my point, even living on the cheap in NYC is expensive, if not impossible. You'll never understand it until you've done it, you want to go out for a night at a good restaurant expect to spend $80 for a couple if you dont have any drinks. Rather chose a diner? Ok $50. Pay your car? $25 for a couple hours, $40 overnight. Dont have a card, then expect to shell out $6-$15 or more to be driven in a...
I reccomend a light cotton flannel. It's Fitzgerald-approved!
Quote: Originally Posted by Kentishman Orlebar Brown These look terrific, but $180 for swim trunks is pretty rough. Think they ever go on sale? Or does anyone make similar ones for cheaper? For now I've got some Original Penguin ones I picked up at a discount last year, a little like this: but maroon. I like them fine except for the penguin embroidered on the leg. It's subtle though.