or Connect

Posts by Oleg

One of the rivets that fixes the handle to the body of my geriatric briefcase has sheared off. Anybody know of a possible repairer? Tried a local cobbler to no avail and the luggage repair places I've checked online seem to be geared to fixing modern, nylon luggage - new zips, tears, etc. Might better cobblers be a better bet? I've not resorted to trailing the bag round all the central ones in the hope that one might - trailing it anywhere without a functioning handle is...
It probably won' matter but opt for black. Black shoes are fine in the most conservative of workplaces, brown not so. I like brown shades too and they're more du jour but a job interview's not the place to be worrying about that.
Jeans and a velvet tux is well outside the scope of MC and firmly into SW and D territory. Probably best left to rock bands with their own jets, IMHO. Fairly unconvinced by non-black dinner jackets, tbh. I saw the noted BBC current affairs presenter Jeremy Paxman at a dinner at my wife's old college in Oxford wearing a crushed velvet DJ with pale yellow, ruffed dress shirt and large, black, floppy, velvet bow tie. Unless you're currently living in 1975, it's a look I'd...
You look a bit too much like an Irish bookie.
half of Australia wears RMs with suits every day. As a former Canberran, I used to have wait for hours in security at the airport as all the politicians had to take their (steel shanked) RMs off for the X-ray.
On further scrutiny, the Bond Street shop seemed to concede that the boots would get the same treatment in London or back in Adelaide though that's just for the regular leather or rubber soles. The comfort models and, it seems, the screwed soles have to go back. Given that, I just went with the local option: I bought mine when I lived in Australia so didn't think they'd mind missing out on the vacation. They've already seen the sights.
Or was this not the type of fetish you meant?
Interesting read though is it a smidgen self-justificatory? If we're being honest, surely personal vanity is rather more to the fore than wanting to project a particular, professional image? You can project a professional image without spending hours on a board fetishising clothes to the extent that we do. You can project a professional image without a psychedelic hanky exploding from your breast pocket. And nobody at your meeting cares that your shoes cost enough to fresh...
Cheers, Lear. For a simple resole, I'm minded to just get them done myself but I think that means that RMW won't touch them if I did subsequently want a more substantial overhaul. The RMW shop charges the same, whether they go to their local place or back to Adelaide which is a wee bit of a liberty, IMHO. If it's essentially the same treatment here or in Oz, I might as well just get them to do the soles locally and get them back a bit sooner. But the shop suggested that...
Sorry if this has been answered before but it's a bloody long thread to trawl just to find out. My Craftsmen need resoling: the New Bond Street store recommend sending them back to Adelaide so I'll be without them for two months. But they said they can get them done at their local place if I'm in a hurry. Given it's just the soles that need done and not the full recrafting that Lear went for, is it worth sending them back to Oz?