or Connect

Posts by Oleg

Quote: Originally Posted by insidertrader Neyus: thanks for your reply here and email. The info was great particularly about shoes. Are Edward stripe shirts available through Myer/David jones? Went to the website and it didn't mention anything so I'm assuming not (will check again properly tonigh rather than just a quick glance). I bought a few country road 2ply cotton shirts last yr for about $75 each on sale (from roughly $100 full price)..are they...
Another vote for Stowa. Like the Flieger, the Antea Creme or Black currently retailing for US$486. The extra doesn't seem lot for a 'proper' watch (and an iconic one at that) that you'll still be happy to wear in 30 years time: http://www.stowa.de/ Ridiculously good value and don't worry if folk don't recognise the name - the ones that matter will. It pleases me no end to wander around in a watch that a premiership footballer wouldn't recognise! Alternative might be to...
Quote: Originally Posted by neyus Some great advice. Suits: Definitely Herringbone Shirts: Go for Boston Brothers/Rhodes & Beckett/Edward Stripe on Sale. I would only buy from Australia if its under $100.00. I don't recommend any other brands rtw. If you can get some new Herringbone shirts for $100.00 and under get them. Shoes: Most important. Don't skimp on these. Get an idea of the styles and fit from David Jones and then buy online. Ties: Tie...
Quote: Originally Posted by Journeyman I know that some people argue that it's unethical to order from overseas stockists rather than buying from Australian stores, or that if we don't buy from Australian stores they will cease to stock good clothes and our situation will become even more dire. The latter argument does have some merit. ... Quite so: poor selection, monstrously overpriced. As a Anglo-Scot 'blow in' to Canberra, it does seem...
[quote=Eccentric;2524543]I think a good summary of some of the better advice here would be this: whatever you wear, don't act like an arrogant prick. That will get you ostracized a lot faster than anything you wear.[/QUOTE] That and wearing a suit to class, obviously. Next...
Seems there's a bit of a Marmite effect going on: love them or hate them. I love them (though hate Marmite). I used to pick them up cheaply from a shop just off Victoria Street in London, when I worked nearby. Still have several pairs which I've kept for years. Most were agony for a week or so but all are marvelously comfortable now and won't be needing replacing for many years to come.
Smedley changed their fit a couple of years ago: I went from a large to a medium. The medium's trim on me (I'm 5 ft 10, medium build) though not overly so but I would probably be swamped by the large now. Limited help, I know, but hopefully enough to avoid making a complete arse of the sizing: if you're a bit bigger than me, then probably into the large, any smaller and certainly not, I'd have thought. They are lovely things: been living in them for 15 years.
Don't understand the stampede: you've probably a lifetime of wearing suits ahead of you so enjoy not doing so while you can. On how far one can go, perhaps it's just a matter of seeing how long it takes for the football team to dole out a beating?
Don't know about classics depts (I'm a political scientist) but it annoys me when people don't suit up for interviews. But smart and professional rather than flashy and save the tweed until you've got that classics chair at Balliol.
I'm with the majority opinion on this: don't like them at all. Penny loafers or desert boots would all be better with what you say you'd be wearing. And even Vans or Chuck Taylors would be fine, surely?