or Connect

Posts by cmorebusiness

So I kinda took some of your advice, and did not wear a suit to my internship. Instead I tried wearing a blazer/cardigan slacks and a tie. I didn't wear jeans on Friday. Apparently business casual in TX is a big deal. I've only been working at this oil & gas firm less than a week and apparently there were a lot of subtle hints, that I failed to fully recognize, but let's just say I was strongly recommended to lose the blazer/sweater & tie! What would you do?
So if you're not going to buy solids, what is the approach? I have like 3 polka dots, and one pin dot and then maybe like 4 striped ties. I also have several silk-knots and then a few bow-ties. I think I usually buy ties based off color and how that color will complement other items in my wardrobe. Other than that, I think I'm completely lost when it comes to developing a versatile tie selection.
Quote: Originally Posted by Sam Hober Cmore business, Your ideas make sense to me and at one time for about a year all I wore were solid ties with just a few stripes or patterns on occasion. My mother used to live in Houston so I am quite familiar with your humidity (very similar to Bangkok where I now live) and Hermes construction is a good choice for your weather. I loved visiting NASA although the control room was smaller in real life...
Quote: Originally Posted by JTA My two cents only. A matter of personal preference. "ยข Buttons? Silver or Gold.....or another Color Anything but black. I personally prefer horn or MOP than brass.[/i] Do you have pics? for the non-brass buttons, I think that would be cool, I don't think I've ever seen it
To be honest, I'm also more of a silhouette guy. Solid ties just seem to make all the lines work a little better in my mind. I think I do like the basic (non-basquet weave, etc.) Hermes ties because of the light interlining and construction that Sam noted. I tie a basic four-in-hand, so I'm more in to having a really good dimple than really "fat" knot. Also, The "Real" Hermes store, and Niemans are the only stores that I know of that have any kind of stock, but...
Question: In the Hermes here in Houston, or Niemans, I'm hard pressed to try and locate solid Hermes ties. I know Hermes isn't known for solids, but all in all they are probably my favorite ties. I've seen some of the preferred ties on this forum, but I'm not really sure exactly what distinctions others make when they acquire ties, and I wonder if there's something I'm missing. Are solids too boring, what's important when acquiring new ties, and do I have to go...
So if the consensus is to be aware of your environment, etc. etc. and ease into the work place, would you say it be better to wear what I have and let them get used to it OR start with the standard wardrobe and then ease my way into it? Based on what you all have said, I'm resigned to the fact that certain articles of clothing just won't be worn altogether (pastel bowties, etc. hahaha), but it would be really disenchanting to feel that just as my wardrobe is starting...
Quote: Originally Posted by binge How many suits do you have? Who told you this? Do you not have a single blazer or odd jacket? I have about 8 suits (worked at Ralph Lauren for like 6 mo.) 1 sports coat and just bought a navy blazer, is that too many suits comparatively? I really don't know
Quote: Originally Posted by emptym I'd do what I've done, which is to get cheap stuff from thrift stores and eBay in order to experiment and fill out my wardrobe. With the money I saved, I'd slowly, piece by piece, get one or two very nice things that fit perfectly and are well made. I'd start w/ a pair of good shoes by Alden or Alfred Sargent, since good shoes, well maintained, last for decades and get better with age. Just make sure to get classic...
So if you were starting your wardrobe or providing suggestions to someone on how they should develop their wardrobe, what would you suggest should be the order of purchase? For instance what would be the order of purchase for suiting? Navy, Charcoal, Black, Tan (hahah) Do you buy a blazer before you buy a suit? How many slacks do you need, etc. How many and what shirts should you start off with? How many and what ties should you start off with? Or any other...