or Connect

Posts by mingus2112

The taps are recessed so they're flush with the leather. I'm actually getting it done to a pair of bostonians that the toes are worn down almost to the welt. He has to add more leather there first, so it'll cost more than usual (usually $35 for toe taps, I think). They're older, late 1990s Bostonians that I got new, so they're not AWFUL shoes. . .but they're certainly not shoes I want to pay a premium to have the soles replaced. Getting those taps on there will make...
I've convinced myself this post has been much anticipated. . .so just go with it! Got my shell Polos back from Nick at B. Nelson and couldn't be happier! Photos are weird. They were pretty scratched up and cruddy when I got them, but the uppers don't look so bad in the photos. I got them back WORLDS better, but the photos just don't do them justice! The back story (so you don't have to look for my previous post) is that I grabbed these burgundy shell AE Polos on ebay...
Of course! I did my best to take some before pictures as well. . .so i'll try to get them in the same poses to really get the before/after vibe. Here's food for thought:AE offers has "refinishing of the uppers" as part of their complete package. I asked Nick if this was possible on my shoes and he said that it wasn't possible on the shell. He would polish them up real nicely, but they wouldn't be refinished. As soon as he said this, it made perfect sense and I don't...
I don't know about the costs, so I can't really argue that point. If you're right about that, then it's totally true. My understanding is that their recrafting department is separate, though, from the assembly portion of their operation. This means different machines, different employees, more space, etc. Not sure what impact this has on any of it. - just commenting. Either way, it's definitely a selling point for me.In related news, I'm heading to see Nick at B....
I don't know if the recrafting itself is more profitable than selling brand new shoes, but the IDEA of recrafting certainly sells a lot of new shoes. In fact, one of the reasons I buy AE is the idea that, assuming I take care of them, they can be recrafted several times near-new condition for half the cost of new shoes!-James
Midnight blue has been classic for nearly a century. It actually is said to look "blacker than black" in artificial lighting. (where black can sometimes take on a greenish hue) Check out the blacktieguide for more info: http://www.blacktieguide.com/Classic/Classic_Tuxedos.htm -J
As have I. In fact, I got a pair of walnut strands from them that just weren't in a condition I could accept. Not that they were hiding it, but the condition wasn't as apparent in the pictures (they take standard pictures - the same on all shoes). Contacted them, they immediately agreed for a full refund. Returned the shoes and they refunded me 100% (including the original shipping)I've also bought 1 or 2 other shoes in great condition from them, but the customer...
I brought my AE shell Polos into VIP/B.Nelson last week for a resole/heel/metal taps. Stopped by to inquire about it and, after speaking with Jose, just left my shoes to have it done. I was thinking of getting new heels and living with the current soles until there was enough wear, but figured I may as well do it now. After I got home and thought about it, I was really confused about VIP/B.Nelson and if they were the same. I emailed Nick and he responded as soon as he...
But same width?
Consensus is that the McTavish fits looser than the dressier 5 last shoes, correct? My Strands are super like a glove (but not too tight) snug. Just wondering how much looser the McTavish would be. I'd probably be wearing it with thicker socks and DEFINITELY more casual. -J