or Connect

Posts by mingus2112

I can't tell you which watch you should be wearing. . .some people would just rather wear a quartz watch that they don't have to worry about. . .and that's perfectly fine. If you want to start wearing that Omega again, consider sending it out to get serviced. If it NEVER kept good time (from time of purchase), I suspect it was mishandled at the store or was defective. A proper service would bring that right into spec keeping pretty consistent time. I've got a similar...
I would say it should not match. I'd think the closer to matching you get, the more you'd look like you tried and failed. You're right that white tuxedo jackets should be slightly off white. I think the contrast between that color and a stark white shirt is fantastic. . .a contrast that will probably be equally fantastic against her white dress! -James
I actually JUST got my CT shirts tonight. I did notice that the collars are smaller than a lot of my normal shirts, but they look nice enough so far. I'll be wearing one tomorrow (just tried them all on and then washed tonight). At $39.50 (special intro price), they're the 8 best valued shirts I've bought so far (yes, I went for 8 of them). I got all "tailored fit" and, except for one of the white ones, they all have those wide collars. -James
this is almost not fair! LOL
I was in your situation a few months ago. I'm 32 and had a black tie wedding to go to. Figured it was time to own a decent tux. By the time I got around to looking for one there wasn't time to get a Made to Measure. I got one from Jos A Banks but have regretted it. What I WILL say for them was that when it went on sale for over $150 cheaper than I paid for it, they gave me the difference back - 4 weeks later after I had already altered and worn the tuxedo! Anyway, I...
4 dress shirts from a traveling tailor whose own shirt sleeves were too short!
I got the JAB Signature last month and spent about $100 in tailoring (shoulders needed to come in). I would call them first before you order as it was a FIASCO getting my size (38R). It wasn't listed as in stock anywhere and the people at the store I went to took to cold calling stores. They finally found ONE in Manhattan and had it shipped to their store. Something else you should keep in mind with them. I saw an even bigger sale over three weeks later. The jacket...
HA!
Quote: Originally Posted by J. Tobias Beard The opera pumps are not my usual dress shoes, they are what I wear with the tux. But, the only pair of black dress shoes I have are pretty terrible. I know you don't want to make a lot (or any) extra purchases, but how about looking for a nice pair of cap toed oxfords? I don't know if you have any Nordstrom Rack stores by you (or stores like it), but I picked up a really nice pair of Bostonian cap...
From what I understand, black tie OPTIONAL changes EVERYTHING. I would go with what you're comfortable in. Perhaps it's possible to get a regular white shirt that you could put studs in and forget about the cummerbund? As for traditional, from what i've read [on this forum] that mostly holds true for formalwear, and for good reason. Black-tie has a specific meaning for menswear. If you don't follow the rules (even if you look good), you're not technically following...