Posts by mingus2112

12B, but I suspect they might have been stretched. They don't feel loose, but that mark that's there makes me think so. If you know someone, let me know. I'd let them go for what I paid - otherwise i'll just send them back.As for buying used - i've struck gold 3 other times. All great shoes. Small scratches, scuffs and even creases are OK with me. I've got Saphir and polish. No worries. When I saw the soles were this bent, though, it just didn't feel right.-J
As much as I hate to admit it, you're pretty spot on here. I'm not going to give up on preowned (calling them preowned as opposed to used makes me feel better about it) completely, but you're right about the price. My recent purchasing of preowned can be attributed to 1) purchasing a pretty close to perfect pair of cliftons from a forum member 2) lucking out with a nice pair of black Park Aves on ebay (tried my luck after the cliftons purchase) and 3) working in an...
Thanks New Shoes1,Not striving for perfection - actually was relieved to find them used and creased. Not just because I'm trying to save money, but because I wouldn't be afraid to wear them with jeans or places they might get scuffed. I think there are limits, though, and if the sole isn't close to what it's supposed to be, I think that's my limit. My Cliftons and Park Avenues were both used and they were in far better shape.-J
A couple pages back I mentioned my walnut strands with some to curling issues. I'm 90% sure i'm going to return them (they are previously owned), but before I lose out on $20 in shipping costs (to me and then shipping back), i'll post some photos of what i'm talking about. Maybe I'm just not used to strands. Maybe they're like this. So the first photo is them with shoe trees in them. The actually look pretty nice. This is similar to the pictures I saw when I bought...
Yeah... Lots of creasing... I'd be OK with that if they didn't look like elf shoes when I'm wearing them!Anyone have experience correcting the elf shoe crease and curl with just shoe trees and heat from your feet?assuming the seller gives me a decent refund, how long does recrafting usually take?
I've been pretty fortunate purchasing several pair of lightly used pairs of AEs. Cliftons, Park Aves and Stockbridges all perfectly serviceable with a lot of life left in them. Just got a pair of Walnut Strands, however, that the original owner must have been allergic to shoe trees. Any way to fix a terrible up curl of the sole other than a resole? I've contacted the seller hoping to receive a partial refund (had shoe trees in them in the auction which hid the damage)...
I've found that any shoe that i've used with a rubber sole and not glued works great in crappy new jersey weather. I also have an older pair of Bostonians (no idea of the model, but they're similar to my Allen Edmonds Stockbridges with a less rounded toe) that I wear when it's snowy. I can't imagine the welt isn't glued on those (although I could stand to be corrected) but i've never looked. They stand up to anything I throw at them and they're almost 10 years old! As...
Just wanted to say how great my dealing with Twiznitch was. Bought a BB sport coat from him and it arrived safely in 2 days. All measurements were spot on. I don't usually write a public thank you, but he's only got ONE post on the forum. Just wanted to vouch for him if anyone else was interested in his other items!-James
Had another great visit to the 6th Ave in NYC AE store last night. Back story is that, after returning from a relative's wedding, my wife left my Burgundy Cliftons (in their bags) on the floor in the bedroom. (she brought them in from the car and I didn't notice) Bad move as the bag, with it's drawstring closure and ominous shape, is like a magnet to my cat. Long story short, before i could intervene, my cat had scratched up the left shoe! It was so bad looking that I...
There are certain cases where I think submitting the receipt would be a good idea, but this doesn't seem to be one of them. He doesn't think twice about paying for his own suits (or does he?) and those are worn TO work. You just take for granted that, if you work at a certain type of company, you have to own suits. It's an investment in the culture of your workplace. If you are invited (and encouraged) to go to black tie events all the time, I would suggest buying a...