or Connect

Posts by dopey

On a somewhat different note, though raised by the recent discussion on shifts in the comic print universe -- Are there any good articles or analysis on the relative importance of the current comic book runs on the comic universe? What I am thinking is that the spate of CBMs has been building on a huge fan base and literature, developed years ago when kids and young adults read comic books and then got excited about seeing those stories brought to the screen. How true...
I didn't say Finn was a bad character. Just that he is not an inspiring hero for a young boy.
Finn seemed hapless and bumbling. He may be a good guy and may even have an interesting story line, but he isn't the kind of hero kids fantasize about being. Luke's father was a famous Jedi and ANH sets him up as the continuation of a line of great heroes who are going to have grand adventures. And he fires the shot that takes out the Death Star. And he has this really cool sword that used to be his father's. And he gets a medal at a huge awards ceremony. Finn is a...
Hopefully Rey will be a popular character with girls because not a whole lot of boys will be dreaming about being Finn (or Whino, for that matter, though he at least has a cool sword and mask). Contrast that with the first movie where boys wanted to be Luke AND Han (and the bad-ass Vader and the cool Obi-Wan) and girls wanted to be Leia. The hero factor in TFA is pretty low. Rey for the girls and no-one, really, for the boys (although Poe Cameron shooting down all the...
Si. But for the ending, Inferno was pretty good. I look forward to watching the movie version (at home).
So . . . is Ant Man worth renting? I am not really excited about it, because "who cares" but the consensus is "it's great" then I don't mind renting it.
While I have come around after a second viewing, it ts actually a fair criticism and a second viewing shouldn't be required. I am not an idiot, but when I watched the movie the first time, the "super magic specialness" of Rey was less obvious. Or, more specifically, I didn't really notice the movie telling me "she is special . . now watch what she can do". Instead, I felt like she was able to do things she shouldn't have been able to do and I didn't really know why. I...
So . . . is Ant Man worth renting? I am not really excited about it, because "who cares" but the consensus is "it's great" then I don't mind renting it.
I just watched TFA again. It was as bad and as good as I remembered. One thing I noticed is that the film tried to make a big deal out of Rey's unusual latent force abilities (which obviously ties to her parentage). She is supposed to be unusually force-gifted (like baby Anakin) and it is supposed to be shocking that she can not only deploy occlumency against Whino, but also use Legilimens on him, all using just latent talent, figuring it our on the spot and without any...