Posts by dopey

Two episodes in to Stranger Things and I am unimpressed. The nostalgia for the feel of the 80s is nice, but that isn't a substitute for good storytelling or interesting characters. If this were not getting such good press I am certain I would drop it now and move on to something else. My older daughter told me it gets better so I will give Episode 3 a try (watching them with my younger daughter) but I doubt I will get to EP.04 if this next one isn't an improvement.
Freakonomics is a great suggestion. I read Ender's Game and liked it, but I would put the Foundation Trilogy or Dune ahead of it in the SF category. Haven't read the other two but thing Art of War might be a great choice as well. Not sure I want to recommend Philosophy other than for reasoning.
Federalist Papers are good but were probably covered in school. Comics are fine but I don't think I was asked for a comprehensive list of everything ze should read. Otherwise, the newspaper would also be pretty high up there.
A High School kid told me that ze wanted to read: Dr. Zhivago Essays by Joan Didion The Power Broker Umberto Ecco Swann's Way Ayn Rand War and Peace Pushkin Dead Souls (Gogol) Lolita Don Quixote Catch-22 Toni Morrison Joyce Carol Oates so that ze would be smarter (ze is currently in the middle of Crime and Punishment and then moving on to War & Peace. I gather the list came from zir head and is sort of a "books literate people have read" list. Apart from the futility...
I liked the silent episode better. Nicely creepy.
Thanks. These are the two winners for my interests. The first is good for category 2 - legible all rounder. OK in gold or steel. The chrono is also great (I don't have any interest in the more complex chronos), but, wow - not cheap.
Quoting and responding to my own post, just because.1 - the gold standard for me is that Vacheron ultra thin posted above, in white gold. Does Patek have anything as nice?2. This is an open category and maybe Patek has something that I haven't thought of. Lots of room in this category - hard to beat a simple Explorer or Datejust but I wouldn't be surprised if Patek has a nice, legible solid time only that I haven't thought of.3. Like the above, Rolex seems to be the best...
I can't think of any Patek that I really want, although I admit I haven't tried very hard and my tastes are more circumscribed than most here. So show me them. Here is what I am interested in: 1. Elegant dress watch - good for more formal suits. o.k. with black tie if white gold. 2. All-rounder - very legible, all purpose watch. Should not be super delicate. OK with casual clothes and with suits, even if not perfect if trying to be dressed up. Not interested in...
Patrimony extra plate? I think I posted the white gold version of this, maybe a little newer, in the first page or two of the original thread as the best looking dress watch ever. It is certainly my favorite. The high point of this watch was around 2000 or so. I don't like the current version nearly as much a they changed the hands and markers. The stick hands and markers, with applied cross and thin, straight lugs are perfect (the lugs I am thinking of are just a...
I assume this will be mandatory viewing as part of freshmen orientation.