or Connect

Posts by dopey

If Rolex made both as factory models, which would you prefer?I am certainly a fan of the sword hands and I would have to know more about which bezel material is actually better, but on balance the knock-off milsub strikes me as a better looking watch, in the abstract.
Two episodes in to Stranger Things and I am unimpressed. The nostalgia for the feel of the 80s is nice, but that isn't a substitute for good storytelling or interesting characters. If this were not getting such good press I am certain I would drop it now and move on to something else. My older daughter told me it gets better so I will give Episode 3 a try (watching them with my younger daughter) but I doubt I will get to EP.04 if this next one isn't an improvement.
This must be getting a lot of attention. My daughter sent it to me earlier. Speaking of which, a few months ago she sent me on her behalf to the Chicago room at her school's college fair while she went was covering some other program. There was no rep from the University itself, just a Chicago alum who also graduated from the same High School, so we weren't getting the official view, but I was told that Chicago saw itself as, and was, among the last hold-outs of...
The issue here is that patent protection and the FDA acting as a gatekeeper, coupled with the requirement by schools that kids have the sole, regulatory-agency-approved-device, means that Mylan has more than just a monopoly. They have tremendous regulatory capture rents. In this case, Mylan's competitor was removed from the market by the FDA for having a failure rate that is, supposedly, the same as Mylan's. Once that happened, Mylan was free to jack up prices, and they...
We hardly knew you, Arthur Andersen.
^not sure why that would be true or why an Uncle Tom should be let off the hook. The problem with the alternative is that the statutes (some, I don't know if all) are literally drafted with "because" as the principal factor, which is why they are so clumsy and difficult to deal with. As Fuuma says above, courts try to use external evidence to infer reason, which is not something they are suited to do except in very obvious cases (like a bunch of Klansmen dressed in...
Yes and no but saying they are both cases of getting in your head is too broad to be meaningful. That is why I said there is a really qualitative difference between the two kinds of getting-in-your-head and there is no real reason to treat them as the same or to say that because we look at "intent" we are policing your thoughts. It is pretty easy to look up the Model Penal Code online and see how mental state is treated (it is a model and I have no idea how individual...
Without getting into thought crimes/hate crimes per se, people are confusing how the law looks at intent with the idea of hate crimes. It is a different kind of analysis. This is simplifying a bit, but the kind of in-your-head analysis that criminal law focuses on is not why you did something, but whether or not you really intended to to do what you did. So if you gave your wife a glass of anti-freeze, the question is 1. did you mean to give her anti-freeze and 2. did...
Freakonomics is a great suggestion. I read Ender's Game and liked it, but I would put the Foundation Trilogy or Dune ahead of it in the SF category. Haven't read the other two but thing Art of War might be a great choice as well. Not sure I want to recommend Philosophy other than for reasoning.
Federalist Papers are good but were probably covered in school. Comics are fine but I don't think I was asked for a comprehensive list of everything ze should read. Otherwise, the newspaper would also be pretty high up there.