or Connect

Posts by Maquis

Awesome story, HORNS! Thanks for sharing—Yesterday: Chergui. Nice, but a little overhyped I think.Today: Dunhill Blend 30. A nice mellow green smoky fougère. Not much like the much vaunted Patou Pour Homme (which is much spicier and not "green"), but really nice on its own terms. I don't think it smells dated, and it's certainly not a powerhouse fragrance (at least with my bottle—I had to put on something like 5 sprays just to really get into it....)
Still deep into my old-school investigation: The past few days have seen Capucci Pour Homme, Paco Rabanne Pour Homme, Patou Pour Homme, Grey Flannel, & Davidoff Zino.
Yeah, I find it's best to go easy with this. One spray or so is more than enough...Continuing with the 80s frags, I wore Patou pour Homme today.
The notes on this sound really interesting:"The emotional intensity of patchouli, vetiver and choya loban unearth deep mushroom notes, revealing sweet but unsentimental undertones of opoponax and tobacco. The diffused smokiness of pink and black pepper mingles with dry teak and cypress leaving an ephemeral illusion."Wow, I'm in!But...how does it match up to the sell copy?
Today: Vintage Van Cleef & Arpels Pour Homme. Interesting—I find this to have elements of Comme des Garcons 2 Man, and Ulrich Lang Anvers 2. Only, two decades earlier and way less expensive. I like it... I went to the Roja Dove counter at Bergdof's today and spent the better part of an hour going through almost the entire line. Absolutely beautiful work. I gravitate towards classical maximalist fragrances and Roja seems to be one of the only ones left making these kinds...
Day: Cartier Declaration Evening: Vintage Tuscany per Uomo. Good stuff...
SOTD: Eau de Guerlain Speaking of Hermes, has anyone tried Epice Marine yet? I was on my way to the flagship store today to check it out when I realized that it was closed...
HORNS, I think Luca Turin even wrote something about Le Labo's naming always being off... In other news, I scored a couple of minis at the flea market today of Van Cleef & Arpels pour Homme and Eau de Guerlain, as well as a vintage bottle of Ma Griffe for my better half. And, on the way home I got a chance to check out the entire Aramis Gentleman's line. I have to say if the reformulated versions are that good, the originals must be even better. I was pleasantly...
Interesting, I'll look out for a lime note in the opening next time. I mostly get a bitterness that I recognize from my vaguely hippie early college days. It does get sweeter and softer in the dry down, which is probably the patchouli now that I think of it...SOTE: Vintage Vol de Nuit extrait (I accidentally got some on my hand this morning and it kept calling to me all day, so I had to follow through when I got home...few things are as creepy as catching a grown man...
Nice. I manned up and (very gingerly) put some on as well. The dry down is reaaaally good...