or Connect

Posts by Saddleback Leather

Quote: Originally Posted by knittieguy My specialty is not IP law, but I am an attorney and I can tell you that your rule of thumb is not a correct recitation of the law. More importantly, though, is that you are going about this all wrong. Instead of trying to quash cheap copycats and coming across like someone afraid of competition, you need to just say, "yes, you can buy a cheap copy but that is what you'll get", and then explain why your bags are the...
Aside from the Saddleback knock-off question, I'm curious how anyone feels about other knock-off stuff. When I was in the Marines, my buddies owned knock-offs of just about everything from just about everywhere in the world. The biggest one was DVDs of the latest movies you could buy for 1$ that were exactly the same as the original DVDs. With the whole influx of file sharing online being so convenient and easy to do, I wonder how many people don't download music,...
Quote: Originally Posted by knittieguy Yes, obviously it is a knock-off of your bag. And quite a remarkable copy at that, I should say. But the question is, should knock-offs be prohibited? If I am not mistaken, the morning after the Oscars you will see the Today Show doing a feature on where you can buy knock-off dresses that look exactly like the designer ones you saw on the Oscars. And it is not illegal to duplicate the exact scent of a perfume and...
Quote: Originally Posted by Deuce Ummm, how about you go back and reread my posts. Every single on of them was questioning the quality of the bag except for the last, far from defending it. I only came to defend the bag and SB after they made good on their word and agreed to replace my bag. Where did AB go? I don't recall seeing a response to this.........
Quote: Originally Posted by knittieguy I don't want to get into a big argument about it but it seems like apart from the quality of the leather, the big design difference between your bag and say, one of these, is mainly the center buckle and strap, and maybe a few rivets here and there, which don't seem novel-enough design features to merit forbidding other people from making similar-looking bags. I mean, G&G has some shoe designs I haven't seen...
Quote: Originally Posted by lazersnake bump! I'm getting my Saddleback briefcase tonight! The anticipation almost killed me... (Psssstttttt, Damn it Dave! Stop being so obvious!)
Quote: Originally Posted by knittieguy I don't think you should be able to have them banned for making a bag that looks like yours. The Saddleback bags are very nice bags, but I'm not sure they are distinct enough to merit a copyright or patent on the design. All of these kinds of bags are just variations on the same scheme and the difference is in the details and quality of the leather, no? Now if ithe copy actually said, "Saddleback" on it that would...
Quote: Originally Posted by srivats Well put. Beware though, people are going to hint that you stole the design from elsewhere. Of course, that's to be expected. I have to be careful not to put my foot in my mouth this time like the last time we were involved in an interesting discussion. The cool thing about Saddleback bags when we first designed them and started selling them was that you couldn't find anything like them out there. If...
Quote: Originally Posted by voxsartoria That makes a lot of sense, thank you. There are some people, though, who have an odd desire for there to be a premium for deerskin, but who also do not wish to pay for that premium. When the premium that they did not pay for turns out not to have existed, they become confused and disoriented. - B I'm sorry, I'm not as active in the many threads on the forum. I miss a lot. Did someone give...