or Connect

Posts by Rolex Luthor

Then you are too young to be dining with a lady in a "fancy" restaurant.
1. Don't go to tourist places.2. Put your wallet in the inside pocket of your sportcoat.2a. You are wearing a sportcoat, right?3. Be a significant badass so that no one would dream of stealing from you.
I go to about a half-dozen black tie events per year. These are fundraiser gala dinner type events where the invitation says either black tie or black tie optional. I own my own DB dinner jacket, but I would guess the majority of the gentlemen who attend these things rent. The ones who don't rent have bought something notch-lapeled at JAB and wear it with a pre-tied bow tie, often in a "festive" color like red, or occasionally a long black silk tie. Before I lost weight...
Hello Gem21. I presume you're the bride, and as much as I enjoy seeing women on the forum, you may have come to the wrong place with your queries, especially if, as you say, the goods have been ordered and can't be changed. Most people here would tell you that the groomsmen don't need to wear identical suits, that you shouldn't buy suits at Macy's, that you shouldn't worry about everything matching everything else, etc. If you stick with those suits, let the groomsmen...
First: Congrats, OP, for realizing you need to change. You've taken an important first step. Follow the advice given so far. It's been good. I would add that you should subscribe to GQ, Esquire and/or Details. You're in need of basic help, and that's exactly what they offer. You want good dark jeans instead of that Hollister crap. Chinos are even better -- no pleats or cuffs! Cardigans or v-necks, not hoodies. Loafers or brogues, not sneakers. Shirts, not T-shirts. A pea...
The windowpane pattern on each of those jackets is large enough and subtle enough that you could get away with a tattersall or gingham shirt, as long as they were paired with solid ties. You could easily wear solid white, blue or pink shirts with patterned ties -- say dots or a repp stripe. I would think a university or butcher stripe would also work well. You didn't ask about trousers, but obviously you'll want solids there as well. Mid-gray flannel would be nice, navy...
Wedding band on my left hand, claddagh ring on my right. I've seen all the stuff about how a gentleman should wear one ring at most, but I respond with a hearty Irish FTFY.
Is Reichardt's still open in Des Moines? It's worth a look.
They all look too fashion-forward for your stated purpose of being viewed as businesslike and enduring for several years. Jacket length is too short and button position is too high. Of the four, I thought A might be the most professional looking, but my recommendation would be to visit your local Brooks Brothers.
Your question was "can it not be a costume?" The answer is: not if you wear it as is. The enormous lapels and the very large patch pockets make it look really dated. Acutally, not just dated; a classic suit jacket would have lapels nowhere near that size. That's more of a bad fashion experiment. I suppose a gifted tailor could reshape the lapels, but the cost would be far more than the suit is worth, and results would not be guaranteed. There's no way to tell by looking at...