or Connect

Posts by MatthewN

You mentioned parkas in your subject line, but not in the body of your message. I wonder if you're confused about what a parka is, exactly? A pea coat is not a parka; a parka is a thick, insulated jacket with a hood. I have a down parka that serves me well to -40 degrees. As has been said, they're not very dressy, and should be used for warmth when needed rather than for fashion (unless you're going for a particularly sporty look). To answer your question, I wear a pea...
Quote: Originally Posted by mediocrecomposer I want to wear a morning coat to my wedding so i bought one on ebay and it looks awful. what do I do? Uh... either get it tailored so it fits you better, buy another one you like, or wear something else. What kind of advice are you looking for here?
I'm a little confused that you seem so impressed with the measurement process, and yet the shirt needs to be altered in 4 places. If I had to pick between easy fitting and accurate fitting, I'd take accuracy. I suppose, though, like you said, a bit of error is to be expected on the first try. That said, the fit doesn't look too bad, especially through the torso. The arms do look a little long and loose. I'm intrigued by your fabric choice. Could we get a close-up photo?
Quote: Originally Posted by ramuman If you like beer for its taste, then you wouldn't like non-alcoholic beer. Indeed, that's been my experience; wishful thinking, I suppose.
I just received a pair of Allen Edmonds Lexingtons that I picked up in B&S. Sadly, they're a little too small, so I'll be selling them and looking for something else. These shoes are a 9D. They seem fine up to the ball of the foot, but they're a bit too narrow across the toes, squeezing my pinky toe in a bit. There's plenty of room between the tips of my toes and the front of the shoe, but the toe of the shoe is tapered inward, so I wouldn't expect to be able to fit my...
I've never used one, but I recommend asking or searching here: http://www.fountainpennetwork.com/ FWIW, I use a vintage (1948) Parker Vacumatic fountain pen (image attached). It's better than any modern pen I've tried so far. Since mine has a firm fine point, I also use a Pilot Vanishing Point in medium for signatures, and a vintage Pelikan 140 with a flexible fine point for copperplate calligraphy. The Pilot's ink filling system leaves a bit to be desired, but...
I'm actually interested in this too, but for a different reason. I really like beer, but I don't always want the alcohol. I would probably drink it twice as often if I could stay sober sometimes. I haven't had much luck finding anything that tastes decent, though. Don't do it just to look like you're drinking. That's silly.
Quote: Originally Posted by JayJay Sizing will work. What is sizing, exactly? Can you recommend a product? I'm not finding much of use via google - a bit on textile manufacturing, and a few uninformative and poorly written web pages.
I just got a new pair of cotton trousers. After the first wash, the crease came out, so I ironed it back in. By the end of the first day of wear, not only was the crease nearly gone, but the backs of the pants behind the knees were horribly wrinkled (I spend most of my working hours sitting at a computer). What can I do to make the crease more resilient and generally give the pants more structure? I read something online about wetting a cloth with water and vinegar,...
Quote: Originally Posted by No-Style I unfortunately do not have time for a MTM suit. Since you haven't said how much time you actually have, I'm going to put in another plug for made-to-measure. It may take less time than you think. My Thick As Thieves suit shipped out yesterday, 12 days after I placed the order. A decent MTM suit is a much better value than anything you'll find in a department store; it seems everything there is either...