or Connect

Posts by ord

Quote: Is there a Breitling model, or another make in the same price range ($3-4k) that you would recommend in the durable, casually focused watch category? Thanks.. Take a look at the sport models made by IWC, specifically the Spitfire pilot watches and the Aquatimer divers.  They are well-made and more classically sized.  Jaeger-LeCoultre also has a new line of sport watches under the name Master Compressor.  They are more radically styled, but...
If you really want a Panerai, then consider getting a 44mm model.  That is really the iconic size for the brand.  The 40mm were only introduced later to widen their appeal.  The larger sized models are generally considered the more desirable among collectors and you are likely to find that they are easier to resell as well.  There are also some Radiomir models that are 42mm, which might be a good compromise, but they lack the crown locking mechanism that Panerais are...
Quote: Are the Brooks Brothers' model(s) just as I describe, color and all? The coats at Brooks definitely had the dark-green "loden" color. I'm afraid I don't remember all of the construction details, but if memory serves they looked similar to the Loden coat pictured in this link from San Francisco Clothing that TimelessRider mentioned earlier (the one in the top-left hand corner). The coats did have authentic-looking details like leather covered...
It's not on their website, but last week I saw some Italian-made Loden coats at the Fifth Avenue branch of Brooks Brothers. They were priced the same as the single-breasted camel hair coats, at around $900, and I believe they were 25% off.
If you like the look of the Cartier tanks and you don't object to a quartz movement, you may want to take a look at the watches that Coach sells.  Their lines are clearly "inspired" by the Cartier style, but their prices are significantly lower.  I'm pretty sure Movado makes them under contract.  The Coach website shows a limited number of models, but I've seen more in their stores.
Nomos makes shell cordovan watchbands for it's own line of watches, but only in 18mm. You can buy them online at timedesign.de.
I have what's probably a dumb question... I just bought a pair of Peal cap toes at Brooks Brothers during the recent sale.  They fit fine in the store, but after trying them on at home, I noticed an issue I've never had before with any other dress shoes I've owned.  It seems the heels and the sole aren't on the same plane.  In other words, when the sole of the shoe is flat on the floor, the heel is not parallel to the ground.  While wearing the shoes, I can teeter...