or Connect

Posts by ord

I bought this peach-colored buttondown oxford at the Paul Stuart sale last week.  It was originally $60, marked down to $25.  The shirt is tagged as a small, but it's far too big on me, even after washing.  I would guess the collar is 16" and the sleeve length is 34". I'm offering this shirt for free to any Styleforum member who wants it (including shipping within the continental US).  PM me if you're interested. Sorry for the poor pic, the color is somewhat darker...
Quote: If you're concerned about cost, you should probably scratch Per Se from your list.  Expect to pay $5-600 pp there. Quote: What exactly does this "Per Se" serve that one must pay such exhorbitant prices? Per Se is run by Thomas Keller, who rose to fame with The French Laundry, in Napa Valley.  According to the NY Times, the tasting menu is $150.  It's actually not even the most expensive restaurant in the Time Warner...
I wasn't going to go back yesterday, but I happened to be having lunch just a few blocks away.  On a whim, I told my colleagues that I had an errand to run, and high-tailed it over there. I ended up picking up a double-breasted suit in a charcoal pinstripe for $225, a sport coat for $100, and five more pairs of shoes at $25/apiece (one pair of Stuart's Choice suede Algonquins, one pair of black-tasseled loafers, and three pairs of penny loafers in various shades of...
Quote: Do they have 8Ds left? Yes, I believe so.  I was looking for 7 1/2's, and while I didn't look at the 8's too closely, it seemed that there were good-sized stack of shoes on my right, a fair portion of which seemed to be in the dark brown Stuart's Choice boxes.
I just returned from the sale (sorry 4Mica, I didn't see your post until just now), and the shoes have been marked down even further.  The Stuart's Choice are now $150, and the regular Grenson's are $75.  Best of all, if you buy two, the third pair is free. My total damage:  3 pairs of the Masterpieces for $300 total, plus a sport coat for $125 (originally $735), and a sports shirt for $25.
That Sinn 356 is very nice. They also make a version with a copper dial which I like a lot. I also second the idea of a Seiko diver. For under $200, their models can't be beat.
Seize sur Vingt is a cool place to check out.  It's in NoLita, a little out of the way from most of the other men's stores. You may also want to take a look at some of the websites devoted to living in NYC. They have plenty of information on stores, boutiques, etc.  Try NY Metro or MUG.
The store is at Park Avenue and East 54th Street. I got the last paisley square.  The remaining ones that I saw were either a blue or pink silk with white polkadots.
In case anyone's interested, there's a small trove of RLPL merchandise at the Syms on Park Avenue.  I saw trousers ($80-100), casual shirts ($80), pocket squares ($10), and ties ($30).  I didn't see any sport coats or suits. I picked up three pocket squares and a woven black/silver tie.  The tie and one of the squares were the last of their kind (assuming there weren't any more in the back).  Unfortunately, I was just a bit too slow and missed out on a lovely satin...
I was at the Upper West Side branch of Filene's this afternoon, and I found a pair of black captoe bluchers from Bonora.  Apparently, the shoes were part of the shipment from Louis Boston.  Originally priced at $625, I picked them up for $250.  I'm kind a Philistine in these matters, so I actually had no idea what I was getting.  It's more than I've ever paid for a pair of shoes, but based on the markdown and the source, I figured it would be worth it.  Plus, even I...