or Connect

Posts by uiriamu

Quote: Originally Posted by rgoldstein I have a Honda Fit. Ditto. I love this car.
Took some time, but size 8 alpaca-lined black peccary gloves arrived today. Fit amazingly and I could not be happier.
They have used copies of Men's Ex at Book Off on the other side of Bryant Park from Kinokuniya. I got an issue for $4.
Quote: Originally Posted by infurmia Based on measurement around the knuckles (further from the thumb) it seems like you are 8.25 from what you said. I measure ~8.5" and found the gloves to fit a little big. I would round down to 8 for their alpaca lined, and maybe even a 7.5 if you are looking for unlined. I ordered a pair of each, both in 8.5, and wish I had sized down by half a size, and a full size respectively. Unless you have abnormally long...
I was wearing them today - I got the red green accented ones (bottom pic) from Urban Outfitters on a bit of a sale. They're okay comfortable - I like the pull tab on the heel a LOT. They don't breathe especially well. I actually have another pair brand new in box, but 10.5 unfortunately
Quote: Originally Posted by infurmia For gloves, I have two pairs from this seller (cognac unlined, black alpaca lined), which I have found to be great value. http://cgi.ebay.com/NEW-MENs-alpaca-...item3a554953a9 I am also a poor Southern Ontario university student! I want to get a pair of these (US grad student here), but I'm trying to figure out sizing (they apparently use numbers, not S/M/L etc, and they aren't responding to my email). ...
Mink oil is what I've always used on my soccer shoes (boots). I wonder if more high tech conditioners / water repellents would be better.
thanks, yes, I had them shipped. Good to know how much a shoe cobbler would charge. I'm deciding between keeping them and possibly having them stretched, or returning them and getting something else. What I probably need to do is get up to NY again in the next week or two and try on some actual Aldens and C&Js and see if I like them enough to spend just about twice as much. Really would hate to roll the dice and end up with shoes that don't really fit AFTER...
Thanks everyone. I've been focused on AEs because they're ubiquitous, come in all kinds of sizes, and can be had on deep discount even new. I've heard all the "what would you do if you started over" discussion about first buying top-notch shoes, so I don't want to scrimp now and pay later. Still it's a pretty big leap from $200 Fifth Avenues to $375 Aldens and C&Js from Pediwear. It makes sense that the shoes will stretch less width-wise just from toes. I could take...
Quote: Originally Posted by Loose On The Lead At the ball of your foot, in a battle between the foot and the leather, the foot will win. I feel confident about that. I don't feel as confident about a battle between your toes and the leather, because your toes "give" pretty readily. On the other hand, depending on specifically where the tightness is, you may be able to solve the problem by stretching the shoe. That's what I had to do with one of my...