or Connect

Posts by The Swede

Polarbears (not true) Highest suicide rate (not true) Dark in the winter (so very, very true) Ridiculously hot blonde women who will sleep with anyone (first part true) All men are named Sven or Bjorn (not terribly common names really) All women are named Inga (pretty uncommon name, especially for women under 50) IKEA (true, but not as funny a joke as foreign people think) ABBA (true) Swedish chef (squirrly stew) Rotten fish (true, but all countries have some...
I can't stop looking at people's shoe laces... It's like a mental virus. Every picture, my eyes go directly to the laces. Please make it stop.
Moleskines suck for writing with fountain pens. Paper too thin. Rhodia and Clairfontaine are usually held up to be superior. Also welcome to the insanity that is online discussion on fountain pens, journaling etc. You thought Styleforum was bad, haha, you ain't seen nuthin' yet. You can learn everything you want (and get severe OCD) over at fountainpennetwork.com. Be careful about the Moleskine blogs/pages, some of them are really scary...
Maybe that was his father´s watch. Maybe his father passed it on to him on his deathbed, saying "Son, make me proud, become a lawyer like your old man". Every time law school felt difficult, every time he had to watch the abusive relationships his mother got entangled in, he looked at his watch and remembered his dad. He vowed that he would succeed, that he would make everything right again. Consider that for a moment.
Ok, cigars are fine in my book. But let´s complicate things a bit. What about a 19 year old guy smoking a.... pipe?
Quote: Originally Posted by patrickBOOTH I guess it depends on what you consider acceptable. In high school I wore redwings every day as a landscaper after school, but they were beat to shit and eventually got holes in the creases from the water and flexing and such. If you want to keep the finish like that of a dress shoes, I would say you have to have a different approach. I sold the beat up redwings on the SW&D B&S for $4,000. I guess it was...
As far as I know the tradition of using a white tie comes from the fact that a few generations ago the correct clothing for a funeral was "white tie", i.e. formal wear, tails (frack in Swedish). With tails you naturally wear a white bow tie (but plain, not in pique as you would to an ordinary occasion). The funeral version also omits all gold accessories and I believe might also include black bands around arms and hats. So when the tails were being phased out, people...
Yeah I look at those suits and immediately think Matisse. But then again, the amazing aesthetic is probably far beyond my humble comprehension, it is just not for me to judge a sartorial god such as Tom Ford. His name is Tom Ford, king of kings: Look on his works, ye Mighty, and despair!
Quote: Originally Posted by Made in California Cross-posting this from another thread, I figured you'd find it funny. Quote: Originally Posted by Saltricks A girl at a lounge winked at me and said "love the suit". And I winked back and said, "It's a sport coat and trousers." I went home alone that night. Honestly, even the second time I read this I am blown away by the simple beauty of the statement. It sums up...
Quote: Are black sweaters very common? What kind of shirt/trousers would you pair it with? Only if you are going to a lot of casual, cold funerals...